Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Constant nursing (and I mean constant!)

Default Constant nursing (and I mean constant!)

My one week old nurses often -- once an hour for most of the day -- but she seems to be satisfied for the most part and is healthy.

HOWEVER, she goes through a period in the afternoon and early evening where she wants to be on the breast nonstop. If I put her down after a feeding she is rooting and mouthing again within five minutes and is soon screaming if she doesn't get the breast. Everyone tells me to just feed her when she asks for it, so I have been accomodating this and just feeding her back to back. But yesterday we hit the wall when she started at 1 p.m. and wouldn't stop till 11 p.m. She rejected a pacifier and she truly seemed hungry and desperate to feed, but was never satisfied.

Please, please, please help. I don't know what to do and can't imagine going through that ordeal again.

Default Re: Constant nursing (and I mean constant!)

my son is 7wks old and we're still undergoing through the same thing. I hope there really is a solution to this.

I just focus on the positive light - he's getting healthier by the minute!

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

Gabe born on September 07, 2004

Jacob born on May 29, 2007

IMO your doing great sounds like cluster feeding(growth sprut) and baby is growing wants more milk doing this is telling your body to make more should be over soon.

HTH!

Keep up the good work - I know it's difficult, and there are days when your LO will just need to nurse all day. But it won't last forever and you will get through it.

You are doing a great job.
    Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years

Update...

I checked out Dr. Jack Newman's breastfeeding web site after seeing it posted on another thread. I realized maybe my latch is not very good and preventing her from getting enough milk. This had been worrying me because while she has been pooping and peeing, the amount has not been very substantial.

So I followed Newman's instructions for getting a good latch position and I did notice some difference at the first feeding, with the baby taking longer pulls and seeming more satisfied. I also tried his compression technique and she definitely seemed to be swallowing more -- while before it was mostly nibbling.

We shall see tonight if this change helps her stay satisfied longer -- my fingers are crossed!

This is the site FYI http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html.

what are babies wet diapars like?
    and poops?
    Thats the way to tell if baby is getting the milk they need.

Quote Originally Posted by cecilia View Post
    my son is 7wks old and we're still undergoing through the same thing. I hope there really is a solution to this.

I just focus on the positive light - he's getting healthier by the minute!
    Sorry to the OP, but wanted to address this one....Cecilia--probably a growth spurt. Very common around the 6-7 week mark. Keep feeding on demand, and it will improve soon!

Ilima99, good on you for researching more and finding Dr. Newman's information. It's great that you seem to have a better latch now after trying his advice. I just want to add that it's completely normal for newborn babies to want to do nothing but nibble at the breast all day. I think at that age, Peter was on there constantly. Remember, they have just come out of a warm, cozy consistent environment, and breast feeding provides them comfort and warmth. Also, there are a lot of growth spurts in the first couple of months, and during these times you'll find that your LO will just want to feed like crazy - sometimes it seems like it's all day! Just keep responding to your LO's needs, and enjoy the time you have with your daughter. These times don't last forever and in a few months you'll be looking back wondering where your little baby went.

Keep up the good work, Mama - and congratulations on making the best decision to breastfeed your baby!

My daughter did that a lot but she was losing a lot of weight. She still nurses all the time. I say it could be a growth spurt.

She was having several poops a day but it was just a small amount. It is hard to tell when she is peeing because those disposable diapers soak up the fluid and don't feel wet. Sometimes I can tell there is pee in there because it's heavier but it's never been soaking. So that's why I became concerned she wasn't getting enough nutrition out of feedings.

The improved technique seemed to help through the afternoon. She was asking for the breast calmly 20-30 minutes after a feeding, which is "normal" for her. But just in the last hour or so she is back to crying within 5 minutes of coming off. Is there a point at which it is counterproductive to keep giving her the breast? I wonder if it is actually stimulating her and making it harder for her to calm down to sleep. Is there ever a point when I should just let her cry?