Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby won't stay latched on

Default Baby won't stay latched on

Hello again all...I have some new problems over here...my dd is baffling me. She has never had a problem with latch or anything of the sort, but now all of a sudden, she latches on, eats a bit, pulls off, latches on, eats a bit, pulls off and so forth throughout the entire feeding. If this is how she wants to eat, I guess I'd deal with it, but it makes me get a bit sore at times!! Plus all that wriggling around makes it hard to NIP without giving everyone a show! Is this a phase they go through, or is something else up? She is 11 weeks old. She has also been blowing spit bubbles a lot and chewing like crazy on my hand...but I think she's a bit young for teething, or at least younger than I've ever been used to!! Anyhow..if anyone has any idea what her deal is, I'd appreciate any suggestions to keep her little mouth in one position on my breast so I don't keep getting pulled around like this!! Thanks!

Default Re: Baby won't stay latched on

This sounds like either teething or distractibility, or maybe both at once! My son started this kind of pre-teething behavior (along with chomping my nipple) around the same age, so it's possible!

Try letting her chew on a cold teething ring or wet washcloth for a while before nursing.

If it's distractibility (pulling off to look at things that before she wouldn't have noticed), then it will probably be intense at first and then get better gradually, as she learns that the world can wait a bit while she is nursing. Hang in there.

--Rebecca

Welcome to nursing a distracted baby!

While in public if you are worried about giving everyone a show, try to nurse in a dressing room or some place where there isn't so much going on. It is hard, but I have learned to do it with pulling my DS in a bit to cover me up when he pops off!

Good Luck!

Sarah

Mine too! and it gets worse as he gains head and upper body strength because he can find his own way. sine he doesn't need me to move his head in, he doesn't have to wait until he opens properly. it makes me extremely frustrated! but it's not every single feeding. when he's really hungry - like after his long stretch of sleep, he usually gets down to business. if he's reallr playing around and not eating well, i take him off. i'll either try again later or wait until his next feeding, depending on how he behaves and whether he seems hungry. i imagine it's only going to get worse as he learns to move about on his own. i think it's important to remember that one bad feeding here and there isn't going to hurt.

Oh dear, were you ladies right! I was sitting over here thinking "no, I think it is something other than simple distraction"...but I watched her closely today, and oh man, is she distracted. I mean, all she can see is my boob and the sleeve of my shirt...who would've thought that a blue and white striped shirt sleeve could be so extremely exciting! We're talking fast breathing and all it is so exciting! Anyhow, just wanted to let you know thanks a bunch! I guess I'll just have to learn how to nurse my snoopy little one!

My son, who will be 11 weeks old tommorow is doing the same thing. I can't tell if it's because he is destracted, but I've noticed him doing it more if he is dozing off. He is also drooling and blowing spit bubbles a lot, and he's been unbelieveable fussy and gassy.

It is also getting harder and harder to get him to go to sleep. He's been sleeping through the night since he was about 3 weeks old. We started out putting him to bed around 9:30 or so but now it's pushing midnight or later before I can get him settled down enough to put him in his crib.

Any ideas? I'd certainly appreciate some insight!

Quote Originally Posted by jennyalger
    Oh dear, were you ladies right! I was sitting over here thinking "no, I think it is something other than simple distraction"...but I watched her closely today, and oh man, is she distracted. I mean, all she can see is my boob and the sleeve of my shirt...who would've thought that a blue and white striped shirt sleeve could be so extremely exciting! We're talking fast breathing and all it is so exciting! Anyhow, just wanted to let you know thanks a bunch! I guess I'll just have to learn how to nurse my snoopy little one!
    LOL!
    I had to start nursing mine lying down in a dim room, at about the same age. Boy I hope it psses soon. He doesn't NIP at all anymore, too much excitement, just refuses.