Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk Storage Questions

Default Milk Storage Questions

I've been more diligently pumping lately and am pumping at least once a day, sometimes twice. As a result, I'm starting to establish a good surplus of milk in our fridge, but I have very little in the freezer for backup.

Earlier, DH and I were quibbling over my fridge-to-freezer system, and I wanted to ask if it's safe to store EBM in the freezer after it's sat in the freezer for five days or so. I know the shelf life for EBM in the fridge alone is right around a week.

DH argued that he doesn't feel right giving DS thawed milk that was "on its last leg" prior to going into the freezer. I countered by saying that EBM has to be consumed within 24 hours of being thawed, or it must be thrown out. He then expressed concern over the loss of antibodies in frozen EBM. I reminded him that even refrigerated EBM loses some of its qualities once it's chilled.

So, bottom line, if I'm going to freeze EBM, do I need to freeze it immediately after being pumped, or can I let it safely sit in the fridge for a few days before freezing it?

Ashley
    Proud mommy to Michael Evan born May 11, 2007.

Default Re: Milk Storage Questions

It may be safe to let the ebm sit for a couple of days, I try to store it within 48 hours. Here's what kellymom has to say about that. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkstorage.html

If chances are good that you will freeze the milk, it's best to freeze the same day.

Most of the times I let it sit in the fridge a few days just in case it needs to be used, I hate to use frozen EBM