Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tanning???

Default Tanning???

I have always used the tanning bed and stopped whenever I got pregnant. Now that my daughter is here, I was ready to start back...but my ob told me at my appointment this week that I should hold off on the tanning bed while I am breastfeeding. Does anyone know why??? Does anyone here breastfeeding still tan in the tanning bed??? Thanks!

Default Re: Tanning???

heres a link from kelly moms
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifes...ctivities.html

Sunscreen, Self-tanning products

Because these are topically applied, very little would absorb through the skin into the bloodstream and therefore into your milk. They should not be a problem for the breastfeeding mom and baby. Do be careful about applying it on the breast - make sure baby doesn't get any in his mouth.

The spray tanning booths (also called UV-free tanning, airbrush tanning, spray on tanning, etc.) come under the category of self-tanning products. To prevent baby ingesting the self-tanning lotion, wash the self-tanning product from your breasts before nursing.

Self-tanning preparations by Debbi Donovan, IBCLC
    [contents]
    Tanning

Tanning is completely compatible with breastfeeding and will not alter the milk whatsoever. There is no record of any dangers to the breastfed baby in relation to tanning. Sometimes clients are given Carotene to enhance the tanning - that should be avoided while breastfeeding. Make sure to protect your nipples from burn (for your own comfort more than anything), and keep in mind that ultraviolet exposure ages skin prematurely and increases the risk of cancer.

Is it safe to use a tanning bed? Will it affect my breastmilk? LLL FAQ
    Is visiting a tanning salon okay? by Debbi Donovan, IBCLC

I can give a really good reason for not tanning, the big "c" word, but I'm sure you know about that already....not to mention the premature aging of your skin. There are lots of good, safe bronzers out there.

Did your OB not offer an explanation?
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Here's our FAQ on the topic:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/tan.html

I hope this is helpful.