Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: growth spurts question

Default growth spurts question

I believe that my son is currently in his 3 month growth spurt. I had been worried because I was feeling like I wasn't producing enough, that he wanted to eat eat eat and wasn't as satisfied after feedings. Then I realized it was probably the growth spurt, since that is what has happened during the other ones.

My question is, does anyone know why I feel like I'm 'empty' of milk during growth spurts? I always worry that he isn't getting enough during these times. Why do my breast feel so much less full? Why does he spend so much time sucking and really seeming to get nothing? (not swallowing as much) I would love an explanation because explanations always help me to worry less.

Thanks!

Default Re: growth spurts question

This is only a guess, but probably because baby is emptying you more each time since he's demanding more food. He sucks to stimulate more milk production, so after a couple of days you'll be back to feeling more like you did before the growth spurt. Hang in there, you're doing great!!

You feel "empty" because more milk is being demanded. And as your baby increases demand, he removes more milk. When he removes more milk, the milk producing cells in the breast are told to increase production. Supply and demand.

P.S. He is getting enough milk. The extra sucking and removal of milk just assures that your production increases to meet his current demand.