Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Do You Have To Pump At Night?

Smile Do You Have To Pump At Night?

I Will Be Going Back T Work And I Work Night Shift 7p-730a My Lo Is Starting To Not Eat During The Night. Maybe At 11p And Then 630a She Eats. I Plan On Pumping At Work Anyway But I Am A Nurse And Don't Really Have The Time. It Is Only 2 Nights A Week That I Work. So Basically I Want To Know If I Don't Pump Every 3-4hrs At Work During The Night But I Still Nurse During The Day Do You Think My Milk Supply Will Go Down. I Appreciate Any Thoughts.

Default Re: Do You Have To Pump At Night?

Well as long as you keep pumping as much in each 24 hour period as your LO will need for the next 24 hours, you should be okay. You can even make it up by pumping extra the next day. Your supply should adjust.
    hth

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I would try to pump at least once just for your own comfort. You could always see how not pumping affects your supply and if you notice a dip then pump extra during the day to get it back up. That's the great thing about BM, you can always make more

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

I reduced my night pumping to one time and added in extra pumps in the day. Then, I took away the night pumps completely and I make plenty iin the day to feed her!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Smile Re: Do You Have To Pump At Night?

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR ADVICE, I APPRECIATE IT.