Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question for moms with OALD

Default question for moms with OALD

my 8 week old dd has been having regular screaming matches at letdown time. I only know I'm having a letdown bec. the other breast starts to hurt.

I never thought I had an OS of milk or OALD but when she started screaming tonight I squeezed and saw a tiny squirt come out. Is that OALD and the cause of her screaming?

I also notice that when I have a letdown she has to swallow pretty quickly because I must have a lot of milk come out during that moment. Is that OALD also?

I've read about some of the different positions, but when your LO screams do you just calm them down and re-latch? Will they go back on or refuse.

I am feeling really frustrated.

Thanks

Default Re: question for moms with OALD

I don`t really have any experience with oversupply/OALD. Just bumping it for others to reply

Mommy to a busy toddler

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep in order to gain that which he cannot lose."
    Jim Elliot

Have you read the sticky at the top of this forum? It has a lot of information on the signs and symptoms of OALD/oversupply.

If LO pulls off and cries, you can catch the spray in a cloth diaper or towel, and then relatch her once the strong letdown subsides. Once that first letdown is over, breastfeeding should become more comfortable for baby.

HTH,

Tiana

Yes, I did read the sticky, but I can't decide if this is me because there really is no spray to catch- it's one little squirt so i'm not sure if this is actually OALD.

If a mom has OALD and is catching the spray in a cloth, is it bec. it is just spraying out or do you squeeze your breast for it to come out?

Okay, now I understand what you are saying ...

Usually in an OALD situation, the milk would just be spraying of its own accord. It still could be oversupply, though. They aren't always related. How is LO's diaper output? Plenty of pees and poos? What do her bms look like? Yellow and mustardy, green and slimy, or something else?

Tiana

Hi, I have a really OALD. I get really deep tingling and pain in the opposite breast to the one I'm feeding on. I can catch the milk coming out of this one in a bottle!! DS pulls off when my milk lets down, and if it is a particularly full breast he is nursing on I can have up to about 8 powerful jets spraying out!! And a constant drip from bottom of nipple! Lovely. DS does stayed latched for the letdown if he is really hungry or sleepy, he just gulps like mad to keep up and then does a huge burp!!
    Hope your situation improves!
    Claire, Mum to Archie, 5 and Jack, almost 3! Number 3 on the way!

Thanks-

Maybe it is OS which is pretty funny bec. I never ever thought I would even have enough milk- I'm always worried about my supply.

I think at letdown time a gush of milk comes out that dd doesn't necessarily want to deal with. I never have leaking breasts or anything sprayingout or dripping when she pulls off.

I do get lots of pees and poops (how full does a pee diaper need to be?). I was getting great yellow diapers that varied from a dark yellow to a more mustard yellow, but lately they have been more yellow-green which is bothering me. The other day they were more green. This green has happened as of a few days ago.

Thanks
    Lauren

I have OALD and had OS, and I didn't do any spraying, just lots of really fast dripping. And the amount of dripping varied from feeding to feeding. So you could have OALD even if you're not spraying. Kellymom.com has good info on this problem.

Usually if I caught the milk in a cloth diaper and then re-latched, we were fine, but if Haley got REALLY upset, I would turn on some nature sounds or the hair dryer. This causes her to relax and space out a bit, and when she's calm she doesn't fight to faster milk flow. (You might have noticed your LO tolerates it better when she is sleepy.)
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Thanks-
    I'll give the background noise a try
    When dd pulls off there is no dripping happening. I'm starting to think she isn't as hungry as I am assuming and she just doesn't want to eat.

I think I need to lay off giving the boob so much but I really can't read her hunger cues anymore-

That's very possible. I'm going through something similar at 12 weeks. I think she's starting to space out her feedings more, yet I'm still trying to feed her, and that makes her mad. I thought I had a pretty good handle on her cues, but I think maybe she's changing a bit and I'm going to have to learn the routine all over again.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?