Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nipples/bottles

Default nipples/bottles

Can anyone recommend a bottle/nipple to use for feeding my infant pumped breast milk? I have a pump, but would like to hear any recommendations on a good bottle/nipple that will help my infant adapt to being bottle fed when away from me.

Default Re: nipples/bottles

We use the Avent bottles. We started with the newborn nipple (#1) and then at about 3 mos or so moved to the #2 nipple which has 2 holes but is slow flow. We tried the medela nipples that fit right onto the medela bottles, but the hole seems really big and my nanny said DD was drinking too fast and getting a lot of gas. Basically DD seems to happily take whatever nipple she is offered.

MY dd is very picky and loves teh Playtex nursers with the drop in inserts. She has to work pretty hard with the slow flow and seems very happy with them , or so I have been told! I've never seen her take a bottle but that is hat dh & the babysitter say!
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

I am so glad you asked this question so that I can share what I recently learned. We use the Dr Brown bottles with the #1 nipples. We tried a couple other kinds of bottles and nipples, and DS likes those the best.

After almost 5 months of pumping 3 times a day at work, I realized that I can attach the Dr Browns bottles to my Pump In Style and just pump into them, and I don't always have to pump into the medela bottles or the extra mothers milkmate bottles I bought. What a happy discovery that was! One less level of milk transfer and bottle-washing.

It took me so long to realize this because I keep the pump at work and the bottles at home. I hope this helps!

Post Re: nipples/bottles

My son was very picky about the bottles he would take. I truly believe that Avent helped to make him prefer the bottle over breast. (He will no longer breastfeed, just gets expressed milk.)

We were using the number one nipple with Avent and the milk was still running out of his mouth and he would have an extreme amount of gas when he was finished. Since they didn't make a smaller nipple I decided to try Playtex Ventaire, he refused that just like he refuses the breast, by screaming and tensing up when I attempted to use it.

Then finally we tried the Playtex Nurser bottles with the drop ins and he is so happy and loves his bottle now. I thought it was very strange because the Ventaire and the Nurser nipples are nearly identical, the Ventair is just a bit firmer, but the nursers made all the difference in the world for us and he takes him much less gas with them.

I have also heard great things about the Dr. Brown's and thought about trying those, but like I said, my son really took to the Playtex nursers.

Good luck!
    Carrie
    Mommy to Landon, born 1/24/2006

We found bottles by First Years that seem to simulate breastfeeding quite well. They are not the Soothie bottles, but they are the ones with "Breastflow" technology (no kidding, that's really what it's called). They're clear with blue nipple rings. It has a nipple-in-nipple thing going on, and it works great for our son (for milk or formula, not so great for runnier things like juice or water). You can always buy just one and see how it works for you (we found our at Babies R Us).

I've heard great things about the Breastflow bottle not causing nipple confusion. They look a lot more like my breasts than any other bottle I've seen! That's what I've purchased for EBM feedings. I found Avent to be very fast flowing, the nipples too long, and I had trouble with the bottles leaking. Good luck in your search!

I recommend the Playtex Nurser with the collapsible liners and slow flow NaturaLatch nipple.

Quote Originally Posted by Mami_Kathy
    I recommend the Playtex Nurser with the collapsible liners and slow flow NaturaLatch nipple.
    I also use the Playtex Nursers with the collapsible liners and slow flow NaturaLatch nipples for my son while he's at daycare. They work great!

I have tried all of the above bottles with no luck. Finally I found MAM bottles and nipples. I get them at Target and it is the only thing she will take. The nipple shape is what seems to make the difference. And I just recently found that these nipples fit on the widemouth Dr Brown's bottles. That has been great for us. Good luck.