Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Could it be Thrush?

Default Could it be Thrush?

So for the past couple of days - DS has been pulling on and off the breast - Was thinking it was because I was sick and didnt want to get up to play with him (he lets me know he is done nursing and wants to play) But he has been really gassy lately - not painful gas but just popping off firecrackers. I associated that with the peppers and onions I ate that really messed up his GI tract.

Neither of us have white patches - but he does have milk tongue, something he has had since birth. Around his lips he has small pale patches that look like peeling skin - inside the lips. Nothing like the pictures of thrush you see online - nor does he have diaper rash

No pain on my end - but I have been craving sugar. (of course I have a sweet tooth anyway)

Should I head to the Peds just to make sure?

Default Re: Could it be Thrush?

How old is he? (DD had really bad gas that started around 6 weeks from dairy intolerance and oversupply problems.)

The second time we got thrush, I noticed it when DD had only one spot on her lip. It looked like a bit of milk that wouldn't wipe off. So you may be noticing it early. Most of the pictures from on-line are really advanced cases. DD has never gotten that bad. If you don't feel anything AWESOME. It never hurts to go to the ped. Although last time I went he told me it was nothing, so I went back the next day and he told me I was right, she had thrush again!!! I haven't noticed DD being more gassy when she was yeasty.

This is the best page for yeast treatment if you end up having thrush.

Gabe is 3 months - He has always been a gassy baby - worse when I eat dairy or peppers with onions (boohoo!)

The spots on his lip look more like dead skin peeling away - just noticed them today - will check again in the morning.

Just a little worried since I did have a yeast infection while pregnant AND am one of the 'lucky' Strep B infected mommas

And we just got back from the Ped - we have thrush. She was impressed that we caught it so early. So we have a prescription first - and if I get symptoms or it doesnt clear up in Gabe then she said to try the GV. Of course - I want to get his 3 month pictures taken so we gotta do that before he turns into a punk rocker!

Oh... and at 3months and 3 days... 15 pounds... he is a chunky monkey! Being that he was 7.1 at birth he has doubled his birthweight and then some!

Safe to say EBF works for us!

Yeah I must have caught the thrush early too, cause I didn't get it either, thank god I wouldn't want to deal with that kind of pain. And it also seemed like it didn't pain my LO either. So yay for us. :P