Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can babies get too full from Cluster Feeding?

Default Can babies get too full from Cluster Feeding?

Hi, my 3 wk old baby is cluster feeding in the afternoon right before going to sleep. Yesterday she got so full that she spit up, or at least I think it was because she was too full. I always let her do her own thing when it comes to nursing.. whenever she wants for however long she wants but I always get concerned she may be too full and spits up while she sleeps etc. I always end up holding her for the longest time trying to get her to burp and just watching her!!

And to think this is my second one! I don't mind nursing her for that long period.. I actually relax watching a little tv etc.. but can her little stomach hold all that breastmilk???

Default Re: Can babies get too full from Cluster Feeding?

3 weeks a prime time for a growth spurt.
    follow her lead, a little bit of spit up will not hurt.

My best suggestion is to continue to follow her lead. Your baby knows how much she needs. If she happens to spit up a little excess, no harm done. In most cases, spit up is a laundry problem rather than a medical problem.

Thanks for the replies.. she had a big spit up again today but she seems content and of course wants more boobie!! :-)

I came on the forum to post almost the exact same message! I have a three week old who has been spitting up the past few days also. I, too, was thinking it was because he was overeating (he gets it from mama!). This last time he did it 20 minutes after the feeding when I was holding him, and luckily I noticed he was starting to choke on it. Laying him down does make me anxious, so I think I might prop his cradle up somehow just for peace of mind.