Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BABY SPIT UP...Help please!

Exclamation BABY SPIT UP...Help please!

My baby is now 3 1/2 weeks old and is a very good eater. I am Breast feeding of course, But lately he seems to be spiting up wuite a bit. Alot at one time. We burp him very well but he still seems to be having a problem digesting. His little tummy aches are hard on him and Im hoping that I can find a way to help him digest better and be in less pain.

Default Re: BABY SPIT UP...Help please!

Carrying my kids in a sling either while nursing or afterwards has helped cut down on all kinds of spitting up and tummy aches. Slings help babies be comfortable and relaxed . . . I love my sling and would definitely recommend trying one to see if that will help gas/tummy aches. Good luck!!

PS. I've never had a reflux baby or one w/ EXCESSIVE spit up, but I would recommend if it's a TON, maybe talk w/ baby's ped just in case. A good friend of mine has had 3 horribly refluxed kids and she's told me the biggest clue for her that her BF kids had reflux is that they vomited. Spit up is normal, projectile vomit or a lack of desire to eat is not. Good luck and I hope he gets better

Thank you so very much. I dont know much about reflux but im going to look into it more. I will try the sling and see what happens thank you so much for the advice.

Definately check into reflux. My dd had it and she spit up ALL THE TIME. She also had a very hard time sleeping on her back and eventually we moved to the swing, reclined back. Is your lo showing any other signs of reflux? Slow weight gain, arching at feedings, fussy at the boob but frantically wanting it, swallowing hard, hard time sleeping?

could be something in your diet too. My dd was bothered by cows milk when she was smaller. She would spit up for sure and have green poops if I had any cows milk.
    figuring that out can be hard.

heres a good link from kelly moms

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html

Haley was, and sometimes still is, a major spitter-upper. Often this is just because baby's esophageal flap has not fully developed, but sometimes it's something more. I found that too much dairy in my diet makes her spit up more. Also, keeping her head above her bum while nursing and keeping her upright for a while after feeding allowed gravity to keep the milk down. I also try to keep her from scrunched up positions where her knees are raised to her chest, as this will put pressure on the tummy and send the milk back up. Sometimes, though, she just spit up because she'd eaten too much or there was a bubble in her belly that shot the milk back out. There's lots of reasons for spit up, and as long as your LO does not seem uncomfortable while doing it, it's probably just a laundry issue. If you're concerned, talk to your doctor. If your LO is in pain, it could be reflux or an allergy. Otherwise, just get used to keeping the burp rags handy. Your LO will eventually outgrow it. (Haley spits up a LOT less now that she's 12 weeks old.)
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Also when you burp rub upward as opposed to patting the back...that might cause less spitting up. Make sure the rub is a little firm. Good luck
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

my baby would spit up allot also at 3 weeks. I would hold upright against my chest. I think age as allot to do with it. she is now 10 weeks and never spits up. she's grown allot in the past two months and so has her tummy, she hold her milk down now.

Quote Originally Posted by nywifey View Post
    Also when you burp rub upward as opposed to patting the back...that might cause less spitting up. Make sure the rub is a little firm. Good luck
    I recommend this method too, it really helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi's-Momma View Post
    My baby is now 3 1/2 weeks old and is a very good eater. I am Breast feeding of course, But lately he seems to be spiting up wuite a bit. Alot at one time. We burp him very well but he still seems to be having a problem digesting. His little tummy aches are hard on him and Im hoping that I can find a way to help him digest better and be in less pain.
    My (almost 4 week old) has this problem as well. He spits up a lot when he does, but not after every feeding. I have cut all dairy out of my diet. He is rather gassey as well and seems like he is in pain. My 4 y.o. son was very gassey as well, but NEVER spit up, so this is new for me. I have a MOBY wrap, but cannot quite figure out how to get it on correctly. I have looked at someone's videos on here and I just need to practice I guess! I especially want to use that when I go out! My son gets very fussy when he is not being held! He WILL NOT sleep flat on his back. He only sleeps while being held or in his swing. He will also sleep next to me while nursing in the side-lying position. Good Luck! I can totally empathize with you!
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07