Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pump And Drive?

Default Re: Pump And Drive?

I pump onesided at a time when I drive.

I commuted 45 minutes each way to and from work. As an exclusive pumper, I HAD to maximize my time during the day (with 8-10 pumps a day).

I used batteries in my Ameda and got set-up/arranged before I started driving and disassembled when I got home (or at a stoplight if I was done sooner).

I found a bra that allowed me to go hands-free (it was a sleep bra at Motherhood with vertical slits). So, I really was no less distracted than any other in-auto activity.

Sure, I got glances from weirdos in trucks and was even followed once, from then on I always remembered to bring the receiving blanket to cover up

Driving is a serious responsibility, using any device while you are operating a vehicle is just nuts in my opinion. Let's make sure we aren't putting ourselves, or our children,or anyone else in danger by doing something that should NOT be done while driving. There really needs to be more strict regulation of what is going on in our cars, for heavesn sake, texting????yapping on the phone?? I gave it up, I no longer use my cell while driving, and now I get to worry about what everyone else is doing while they're on the highway!
    Please be safe, please use 100% of your concentration for driving these super heavy metal machines, which can be quite lethal.

Quote Originally Posted by EcoStyleKim View Post
    I commuted 45 minutes each way to and from work. As an exclusive pumper, I HAD to maximize my time during the day (with 8-10 pumps a day).

I used batteries in my Ameda and got set-up/arranged before I started driving and disassembled when I got home (or at a stoplight if I was done sooner).

I found a bra that allowed me to go hands-free (it was a sleep bra at Motherhood with vertical slits). So, I really was no less distracted than any other in-auto activity.

Sure, I got glances from weirdos in trucks and was even followed once, from then on I always remembered to bring the receiving blanket to cover up
    thats what was thinking - setting up befor and just waiting ill i go to work to unhook. i have the hands free bra (they should tell u bout those in the hospital whenthey tell u bout pump). i am waiting for some recent cracks to heal first i dont think i ccould do it while it hurt and i think the adapter makes the suction worse!

Quote Originally Posted by Owensmum View Post
    Driving is a serious responsibility, using any device while you are operating a vehicle is just nuts in my opinion. Let's make sure we aren't putting ourselves, or our children,or anyone else in danger by doing something that should NOT be done while driving. There really needs to be more strict regulation of what is going on in our cars, for heavesn sake, texting????yapping on the phone?? I gave it up, I no longer use my cell while driving, and now I get to worry about what everyone else is doing while they're on the highway!
    Please be safe, please use 100% of your concentration for driving these super heavy metal machines, which can be quite lethal.
    THANK YOU!!! I agree 100%!!! So many people die or are permanently injured in cars because they aren't paying attention. Please be safe everyone!!!

I understand the need to maximize the use of time, I really, really do. However, this practice is dangerous not only because of the distraction factor, but also because of the risk of serious damage to your body in an accident or even a sudden stop. My best suggestion is just don't do it. It's not worth it.

As an aside, I have an online friend who was pumping while driving in CO. She got pulled over (PIS still attached to breasts). She was ticketed and fined. I don't remember which law that was used, though I believe it was pretty much the same as driving while talking on a cell.

Ive done it onesided...after all...i figure its the same as me changing the station on the radio etc, and i drive with only one hand anyway...If im with hubby and its a long drive he actually hooks up the pump and helps me get the horns on my boob and stuff. ( hubby doesnt drive, for those wondering why i dot let him drive while i pump)

Its sad that we live in a world where we have to squeeze in pumping our breasts while driving. I'm just wondering why the pumping has to be done while behind the wheel. Is it that you are not allowed to pump at work? (for those who pump and drive cars at the same exact time) Or is it that you don't have the time to do it at home? Is it on the way to work? on the way to the mall? I'm really getting curious to know why this has to happen while driving.
    If the pump slipped off while behind the wheel and milk started to spill, that would sure as heck distract me. Breastfeeding is a wonderful and beautiful gift that we give to our babies, and I"m all for pumping milk and you know, what ever works for your family, but keep it off the roads for all our sakes!

Not only the safety of the driving...Thats all we need is a killing by a pumping driver to be on the news...I can just hear it now...Those sexualized people letting their babies suck on their boobs are now killing people while using instruments to suck on the boob!
    Mommy to Chance Lane 1/18/07
    I love my miracle baby so much! Be the best that you can be to your angels no matter how selfless you have to be!

I am definitely not ever going to pump & drive...and wouldn't recommend it b/c of all of the above reasons.

But if someone felt they HAD to pump, wouldn't it be better to use the Whisper Wear? It's flat and hidden from view...doesn't have big plastic horns. I still wouldn't chance it b/c of the distraction factor, but thought it might be a better alternative.
    for 1-1/2 years...and still going!