Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pump And Drive?

Question Pump And Drive?

I have a PIS adv. i noticed it has a car adapter, i know this prob for road trips when youre a passenger, but do any of you gals pump and drive? is that possible? i have 45 min drive to work start back mon and was just curious?!?

Default Re: Pump And Drive?

there was a thread about this a few weeks back. the consensus was that it can be done but is not recommended and the LLL moderators made sure to chime in that it is not a supported practice. i'm sure someone will link to that thread.
    personally, i've done it, no problem...but there's always the what-ifs...

Picture this:

You're in an accident that sets off the airbag in the steering column.

We're talking some pretty bad breast damage, there. I wouldn't take the risk. But that's just me. I also can't imagine that you yourself would be a safe driver with the pump connected, the horns would get in the way. And assuming if they fall off you leave them, that's a lot of wasted milk, not to mention a mess.

In the end it's up to you, but were it me I wouldn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by MariElizabeth View Post
    there was a thread about this a few weeks back. the consensus was that it can be done but is not recommended and the LLL moderators made sure to chime in that it is not a supported practice. i'm sure someone will link to that thread.
    personally, i've done it, no problem...but there's always the what-ifs...
    thanks i found the thread

Thank you Krystal! When this issue came up before I felt like the lone voice in the crowd! I multitask all the time, but not in the car. I hope I didn't piss too many people off in that last thread, but when you lose someone you love in a car accident it tends to change your perspective. Statistically, the car already is one of the most unsafe places to be so why add to that?!

As a petite person who has to sit really close to the steering wheel, I have always been afraid of the airbag. I have been in one accident, as a passenger sitting far back from the dash, and it cut my face up. I can't imagine how bad I would be hurt if I were ever the driver. Add big pieces of plastic from the horns that could cut into me, and the picture becomes fatally scary.

Red face Re: Pump And Drive?

its all just a matter of opinion i guess. it seems like a great wway to work in two extra pump sessions and doesnt seem more dangeroous than texting or eating while driving. at the same time ive never driven while something tugged at my nipples!

I read a news story about how a teenager died in an accident they had because they were texting on their cell phone.

There's a reason why many states have laws against talking on your cell phone while driving unless you have a hands free set up. And even then you are distracted by talking to someone, just like you are when you talk to a passenger. Eating isn't safe either, and just like they tell you in driver's ed -- don't ever eat / drink anythign and drive that you aren't willing to drop in your lap at a moment's notice!

I live in an area with crazy drivers, many of whom aren't on cell phones, don't have passengers, etc. Just the thought of a mother pumping and driving on the same road as me gives me the shivers! I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just pointing out that anything you do while you are driving that takes away your attention -- even a LITTLE! is very, very dangerous, for you and for others on the road.

How would you feel if you were in an accident that killed someone while you were pumping, even assuming you didn't get massive breast damage from it? I for one would never be able to forgive myself.

I would never suggest anyone do it but I have had to on several occasions where it was pump in the car or not pump for 10-12 hours because my driving to and from a location was considered a work break.

I found myself a little distracted but nothing bad happened. I think my throbbing BBs would have been a greater distraction...

Quote Originally Posted by Krystal View Post
    Picture this:

You're in an accident that sets off the airbag in the steering column.

We're talking some pretty bad breast damage, there. I wouldn't take the risk. But that's just me. I also can't imagine that you yourself would be a safe driver with the pump connected, the horns would get in the way. And assuming if they fall off you leave them, that's a lot of wasted milk, not to mention a mess.

In the end it's up to you, but were it me I wouldn't do it.
    You are sooo right! I have an hour drive in with my LO (who sleeps in the car now - yea) and I would love to pump but I just do not want to risk it. I live outside of Atlanta GA and folks around here drive like crazy.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk