Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Excessive pooping?

Default Excessive pooping?

For the past week or so, my 26-day-old daughter has been pooping a ton. 10-14 times a day, just counting the big ones, and some are very, very liquidy and green and a bit smelly (she's had nothing but breastmilk since day 1). I took her to the doctor who recommended I cut basically everything from my diet--dairy, spicy foods, acidic foods, fruit and veggies, pretty much anything with flavor. After 4 days, no real change in her pooping habits, so doc said to return to my regular diet (though I will try to limit dairy).She's gaining weight and isn't dehydrated, but still I worry. Does this sound like a problem to anyone? Any tips? Thanks!

Default Re: Excessive pooping?

I would check out the allergy forum on this site-those mommas are really helpful and knowledgeable on allergies and reactions-
    that being said, I believe i have read that it can take weeks for the foods to leave your system, so it may be a week or two before you see any change in your baby.
    here is a quote from the kellymom (a great breastfeeding guide) website
    "If you think your baby is reacting to a particular food, then eliminate that food from your diet for 2-3 weeks to see if baby’s symptoms improve. If baby’s symptoms do improve, then this food may be a problem for your baby. Eliminating a food for less than 2-3 weeks may not be effective—cow’s milk protein, for example, can persist in mom’s body for 1½ - 2 weeks, and it may be another 1½ - 2 weeks before the protein is out of baby's system.

Baby’s symptoms will usually begin to improve within 5-7 days of eliminating a problem food. Your baby may not improve immediately, however, especially if the reaction is to a food that has been a regular part of mom's diet. Some babies seem to feel worse for about a week before symptoms begin to improve. Sometimes it takes several weeks to see an improvement."

here is a link to the page on the site that discusses allergies/reactions

good luck and I hope that helps!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

From reading this, it doesn't sound like 4 days is long enough for an elimination diet, especially if the problem is dairy. You might check this link and also the allergies forum.http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...nsitivity.html

Guess I was posting when PP was!
    Last edited by I-Man's Momma; July 19th, 2007 at 10:51 AM. Reason: addition

its okay great minds think alike!! at least I know I had the right link since you posted the same thing!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!