Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: the mystery of the growth spurt

Question the mystery of the growth spurt

my baby boy is just shy of 7 weeks old. it seems like forever and just an instant all at the same time. one thing that has confounded me is this idea of a growth spurt. at first someone told me babies have them at 2 to 4 weeks. then someone else said they have them around weeks 3 and 6. now he's past all of those and still being the little boobmonster.

do the growth spurts ever really stop? or do we just become more adjusted to the patterns of our babies?

Default Re: the mystery of the growth spurt

Here is some helpful info on growth spurts

in my opinion, they never really stop. i mean, obviously the baby is growing and growing and growing! Its just that the little periods of fussiness and constant sleeping and eating that make up the actual spurt. As far as constantly eating, my 6 month old is always eating!! i swear he is nursing every 1.5-2 hours even with solids added into his diet. But I dont mind really. I do think you get to a point where you dont notice it as much, except maybe at night if they are up more to nurse. HTH!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

i would think that those are averages or estimates in terms of babies growth spurts. All babies grow differently. My baby is 3 months old and I'm told that she's a big girl. I feel like she could be going through a growth spurt right now. I spent the entire day nursing her often.

Boobmonster! I like that term...will have to use that one!

Hi

You can expect growth spurts at about 10 days, 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 12 weeks, 4 months and 6 months of age, so it does feel like they're constantly in a growth spurt!

My daughter would be so hungry, I felt like I couldn't leave the house because she was constantly at the boob