Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Urgent - Please Help

Default Urgent - Please Help

Hello,
    My best friend had a baby on Tuesday night - C Section after induction...dont get me started on that.
    But, they were seperated for about 3-4 hours after he was born and he didn't get to try to nurse until about 4.5 hours after he was born.
    He is now latching on but not sucking. They are supplementing with a syringe and she is pumping...but she is now getting worried about what to do.
    The lacation consultant came in yesterday but things really havent changed.
    Please let me know of any suggestions that I can offer her...

THANKS in advance!!!

Default Re: Urgent - Please Help

Het there, What advice did the LC give, are they going to have another appoinment? Sounds like she needs some one on one advice until the situation is sorted...
    Just let your friend know that it's never too late too start and to keep the pumping up, to keep her supply. And to get that breast milk in there any way you can, spoon feeding? And skin to skin contact, lots of cuddling, and trying not to stress.
    sure other ladies have more advice, i am typing one handed !Let us know what happens...
    Karli, Besotted mother of Ashley,8lb 9oz - 9th May 2007 and Fae 8lb 11oz 17th Feb 2010, both born at home, naturally.

Nappy-free @ 18 months EC'ing rocks!
    Just leave it alone.

Babies usually instinctively know how to suck. Has she tried putting some expressed bm on the breast prior to latching on so that the baby can get a taste? Keep requesting an LC to come in and help. That is what they are there for. I probably had 3 or 4 different ones come in. They each had different suggestions for what to do. Hopefully one of the suggestions will work!
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Do you have a LLL leader in your area you could call? They could definitely be more help than we can online. Lots of babies go on to breastfeed just fine even if the initial situation isn't perfect. It will take work and dedication though. If she thought the LC was helpful, keep using her, otherwise maybe try to find a different LC or like a said, an LLL leader who is a free and wonderful resource.

Getting the baby to the breast as often as possible is key. If possible, mom and baby should just hang out, skin to skin and that should encourage the baby to nurse more. I'm sure she's having a tough time dealing with the csection recovery so lots of help and support will be needed. She's lucky to have you for a friend!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

We live in different cities about 2 hours apart from each other. I guess I could call one of my local leaders.
    I will suggest skin to skin. I suggested the putting bm on the nipple thing already. I told her to look for his early hunger cues and to try to feed him often. I don't know what hold she is using. I am going on Saturday to be with them for a couple of days but hope it isn't too late by that time...

Keep up the encouragement! My son was born near term and had a weak suck - it took us 6 weeks of going to the Lactation Consultant at the hospital and using things like the SNS (Supplemental Nursing System) and skin on skin time, pumping, etc - but we DID it!

It's great to have a friend like you - I had a lot of people just tell me to goto formula and don't stress over it - there were times where I wanted to with all the "other" issues we had, but I had one friend who just kept encouraging me to be the "best that I can be" (sounds like the Army commercial I know), but it really got me through it.

can she encourage the baby to suck on a clean pinkie finger? Maybe if she did that while snuggling him skin to skin what might stimulate him a little.

My baby went to the NICU immediately after birth (full term) and I did not get to feed him for the first time until 27 hours after he was born (he had an IV). Tell her to hang in there and not to take no for an answer...

Remind her that babies are born to be breastfed!

I second all the above advice. What a great friend you are to get help for her!

I just wanted to share a little personal encouragement. I was born (way back in the day) via a c-section that went horribly wrong. My mom and I were separated for 18 hours before she was allowed to have me- we were both in our respective ICUs. We had a really rough start at nursing (pick a complication, I think we had it), but she was able to bf me for 12 months. It may be tough to get going, but it IS possible.

Give your friend a hug (even a long distance one) for me and tell her she can do it.
    Rachel

Mama to my precious girls, Abigail and Naomi

"When we consider that women are treated as property, it is degrading to women that we should treat our children as property to be disposed of as we see fit." - Elizabeth Cady Stanton in a letter to Julia Ward Howe, October 16, 1873. Recorded in Howe's diary at Harvard University Library.

THANKS for all of the help and words of advice.
    The lactation consultant came back today and worked with them for over an hour....YEAH! She gave my friend some nipple shields. Now he is nursing like an old pro. I don't know why they didn't notice her flat/inverted nipples before, but whatever.
    I am so glad that she is keeping up with her efforts. I questioned her desire - but now I know I shouldn't have prejudged!!! I should have remembered my own journey into the wonderful world of breastfeeding. I didn't want to do it and thought it was "gross." Now, I am in love with it and am so glad it is the one thing that only I can share with my dear sweet baby girl. We have only been a nursing couple for 6 months, but I see no end in sight. When she is ready to be done, I am too.

Again, thanks. You are all the best.