Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: SO little milk when I pump!

ericsmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default SO little milk when I pump!

I think I just need some reassurance. My son is 6 mo and just started solids and sleeping through the night so I know my supply has gone down. I am trying to pump so I have milk to put in his cereal, but I pump and I litterally get enough to cover the bottom of the bottle. YIKES! I feel a let down and all, but then only a little comes out. So- I put formula in his cereal. I'm freaking out a little because I don't want to dry up! He still nurses about 5-6 times a day, but I am having trouble getting a good schedule.

Talking Re: SO little milk when I pump!

Firstly good for you that you have breastfed for so long. Make sure you are completely relaxed when you start pumping. Also make sure you have a good pump. Double pumping increases your prolactin levels and thus you produce more milk. Don't stress, pumping takes practice to get it right. Make sure that your nipples are pulling in the centre of the pump. Just keep at it and soon you will be able to pump more. Also try to pump in the morings when your breasts are full. And most inportant just keep trying. Soon you'll get the pumping thing sorted out!!

Default Re: SO little milk when I pump!

I think I need to take a yoga class... its so hard to relax with two kids in the house!

So when lo was 2 months old I pumped all the time to get up a stash, but its been months now so I guess my body has to get used to it again? I guess I'll just try to do it everyday and hope for the best!

Tell me about it!!! I have three!!! I have to say that I also battled to pump again, it took me about two weeks of pumping before I could get enough. Have you tried power pumping? I did it yesterday and it worked like a bomb! You pump every hour on the our. I know it is hard to do but like I said, it realy worked.

Just hang in there!!!

Power pumping? Doesn't the lo get bothered by lack of milk when you go to feed? My problem is that it is really hard to get a let down and I get discouraged when nothing happens. Like I just wasted time.

What do you do with the kids while you pump?

Have you tried massaging/compressing while you pump? I use a combination of electric/manual pumps and compressing to fully empty my breasts.

Also, though this might sound odd, if I watch music videos of my favorite artists (must be sexually appealing), I'll have multiple "let-downs" during a session, even after I thought I've emptied. Must be hormones... either that or the relaxing factor... you won't even notice! And time flies too. Gotta love youtube.
    Last edited by mimo; July 21st, 2007 at 08:58 AM. Reason: addition to clarify