Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Still trying to figure out DS problem...Colic?

Default Still trying to figure out DS problem...Colic?

Hi again, I've written like 5 threads trying to figure out what is wrong with my son. He screams and screams all day and sometimes evening. Unless he's nursing. It used to be grunting but now he's just full-out screaming. Today it was from 8:30am until 2:30pm almost nonstop with no sleep. I feel soooo bad for him, he seems so uncomfortable. He will calm down when I sing to him and walk around, sometimes. Sometimes not. But his screams are so hard and drastic like he's just in excrutiating pain.

He's just 4 weeks tomorrow- is it possible that it is colic? What is colic? How does one know if their baby has it? I mean, people keep telling me (friends who have breastfed) that it is probably my diet and I should keep a journal of what I eat, maybe that's what is causing his discomfort. That seems overwhelming to me, how could I know which thing is causing a problem?

I took him to the doctor on Thursday and they can't find anything wrong, but of course he wasn't screaming in there... and it's not like they could ask him questions. They prescribed Zantac in case it's silent reflux but we haven't dared to give it to him yet... scared to medicate for no reason.

So do I try tinkering with my diet or if it is colic, is there really nothing I can do but wait for him to grow? Can I be breastfeeding him too much? Is that possible? Is he too full and just making himself more miserable? He does take in some air when he's frantic and then going to nurse, I try to calm him down before he starts nursing, but it's almost impossible. Often he will burp for me after he drinks, though.

Also, if I do keep a journal, how long after I eat could I see a reaction in him positive or negative? Like 12 hours? 4-6 hours?

Sorry I keep asking so many questions, I'm desperate, I feel so bad for him and often end up crying along with him because I wish I could take his pain for him.

Thank you!

Wendy

Also, I bought a Hotsling today, perhaps that will help him stop crying if he's next to me often?

Default Re: Still trying to figure out DS problem...Colic?

I was going to recommend Dr. Sears' _The Fussy Baby Book_, but then I thought to check his website, and I think much of the relevant info is there. Look at these two links in particular:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/T051200.asp

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/T051300.asp

It sounds absolutely unbearable -- I do hope things improve for you and your little guy very soon.

--Rebecca

I've looked at some of your previous posts...and to be honest, your baby sounds just like mine did before we started medicating her for reflux. She wouldn't sleep on her back (and to be honest, sleeps on her belly because it's the only way she WILL sleep). When she was about 4 weeks old, she would just make all kinds of noise, and you could tell she was uncomfortable yet try as I might, I could not get a toot or burp from the poor thing. Then things progressively got worse the older she got. It climaxed in her screaming all day long, every single day. I believe (and I could be wrong here, it wouldn't be the first time! ) that colic is typically during a certain couple hours of the day, and usually in the evening. I could do absolutely nothing to console her and I began to cry nearly as much as she did, except I didn't have her pain. I would have done anything to trade her places, it is so hard to see them hurt like that! Anyhow, she has been on zantac for 3 weeks, and she is like a completely different baby...I too didn't want to medicate unnecessarily and thought maybe I should have checked my diet more, but after 2 days of medication, we started to see some improvement. I think it took its full effect after 2 weeks, and now she spends most of her day smiling, cooing and pretty well having a good time. I just wanted to send a huge hug your way....I know how hard it is, and I hope that things get better quickly for the both of you! Just a little side note, the medicine only lists headache as a possible side effect...and he could always be taken off of it if it doesn't work...Hang in there, I know how tough it is. *hugs*

You know, Jenny, all along I've thought this is some kind of upper gastro type problem and yet everyone (except my DH) has thought I was nuts. I think it's a silent reflux- I've not thought it was colic, as it doesn't follow the classic symptoms. When I look up the symptoms of reflux, he fits so many of them. I guess they're right (maybe) when they say to trust mom's instinct.

I'm afraid to give him the Zantac, though, because my sister-in-law (she is a NICU nurse) says Zantac inhibits stomach acid and therefore the body increases stomach acid production as a response. Ahhhh.... oh well, I'll try it and see how it goes.

Thanks for your insight!

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/T051200.asp
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/T051300.asp

maybe something here will help
    from dr sears
    heres a list of foods that might bother baby:
    If your child is experiencing colic, it may be due to something in your diet that is passing through the breastmilk. Here is a list of foods that may be the culprit. You can eliminate all foods at once or just a few at a time, depending on how severe the colic is. It sometimes takes up to two weeks for a food to get out of your system, so be patient. Good luck!

Dairy products
    Caffeine – coffee, tea, soda
    Soy products
    Peanuts
    Shellfish
    Chocolate (sorry!)
    Citrus fruits
    Wheat
    Chicken
    Beef
    Eggs
    Nuts
    Corn
    Prenatal vitamins (The iron may be irritating to baby. Ask your OB for an alternative if this is the culprit.)
    Gassy vegetables:
    Broccoli
    Cauliflower
    Cabbage
    Onions
    Green peppers
    Tomatoes

We started giving Zantac today. How long does it usually take to help?

Also, how do you know how often to feed a baby who has reflux? It says on the LLL info that sometimes babies feed to comfort themselves but then end up causing more pain by over-filling and refluxing. So how do I know when he really wants to eat or if its just a comfort thing? I know with normal situations, you're supposed to feed them anytime they want, but with reflux, it's different.... yikes! I don't want to starve him!

Thanks

As I said in my previous post, it took two days before we saw any improvement, and it began as just mildly getting better with the fussiness and fewer wet burps...then gradually day after day, things got better and after about 2 weeks, I could look back and see that I had nearly a new baby. I still feed her about every 3 hours, and it really helps to hold her as upright as you can while feeding...it also helps to keep reflux babies upright as much as possible after a feeding to let gravity help keep the stuff down. My daughter is nowhere near on a schedule, but I know that she should make it close to 3 hours between feedings...so I just kinda judged her hunger by that, and things have seemed to go fine. Hope this helps! Hope that things start looking up soon, if it is indeed reflux, it should. And you are right by the way...the dr. tried to convince me that Senja had colic, and I just knew there was something more to it because she fit so many of the reflux symptoms, and I'm glad I stuck to my guts because it has been a huge relief for her to not be in so much pain all the time! Keep us posted!

Hiya Wendy,
    Sorry I kinda dropped off the face of the earth for a while! I know I still owe you that reply in private message!

Oh I'm so sorry you're still having such troubles. I am glad you are starting the zantac. I only wish I had started my daughter on it sooner! We were able to wean her off of it by 9 months (I think she went on it at 6) so it won't last forever. If it helps him, do it! It's a very safe drug!

Did you check out that site I gave you? www.infantreflux.org
    There are some great resources there and some other people's experiences. It is where I learned about the silent reflux that Em had (since she didn't really have the spitting up that the typical reflux babies had.)

I really hope your little Aaron starts to feel better!!! I will message you and update you on me and little Jack! He's still doing some grunting!