Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OS, how can I fix it with block pumping?

Default OS, how can I fix it with block pumping?

Hi, I'm sure you ladies have heard this question a hundred times, but please tell me! I exclusively pump to feed my 2 month old, since she fights the breast. I have been trying to get her to latch using a shield, with limited success.
    I produce 60-65 oz per day and have been trying to decrease this so my boobs don't hurt so much all the time, and so LO can get some hindmilk when she does nurse. Someone suggested that block pumping is the key.
    I double pump every 4 hours and try not to completely empty my breasts, shooting for 8-9 oz, when I know I can produce 12-13 oz each time. But by the time it's time to pump again, I'm engorged. I've been getting plugged ducts and hard big knots in my breasts constantly, which I try to alleviate with ice packs.
    So would this work? Alternate breasts every 4 hours? Pump one empty, then in 4 hours pump the other empty? Won't the one not pumped get really engorged? If I feed LO, which side do I use? The one just emptied? If I just pumped that side, will there be enough milk for her? Will that increase my production on that side? What effect will this have on my supply over time? I don't want to lose my milk. Do I keep the block pumping up forever (ok, not forever, but you know what I mean), or do I need to stop at some point? How do I begin so that I'm not engorged?
    I know this is a lot of questions, but I really appreciate the help!
    Dana
    Last edited by RaensMom; July 18th, 2007 at 09:31 PM. Reason: more questions

Default Re: OS, how can I fix it with block pumping?

I've been getting plugged ducts and hard big knots in my breasts constantly, which I try to alleviate with ice packs.

I would suggest warmth before nursing and cold between. Here's some info on plugged ducts:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/mastitis.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

So would this work? Alternate breasts every 4 hours? Pump one empty, then in 4 hours pump the other empty? Won't the one not pumped get really engorged?

Probably would become engorged! Maybe start by decreasing the amount of time you pump?

If I feed LO, which side do I use? The one just emptied? If I just pumped that side, will there be enough milk for her? Will that increase my production on that side? What effect will this have on my supply over time? I don't want to lose my milk. Do I keep the block pumping up forever (ok, not forever, but you know what I mean), or do I need to stop at some point? How do I begin so that I'm not engorged?

Alot of questions! I wish I knew the answer to them all, but I don't. All I can do is offer you some support.

See this page:
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/oversupply.html

Just so you know Raen, I'm right there with you!

I used to pump between 6-8 oz, 7 times a day, now it's 10+ 6 times a day. And yes, I get clogged ducts frequently. Although, I've noticed that it seems to be the nipple pores clogged more than the ducts themselves. I'll hand express and I can watch as a pore slowly gets more and more white. I usually work as hard as I can without damaging my nipples to open it so the milk will flow.

It's so frustrating. If I'm off a pumping by even as much as a half hour, I'm almost guaranteed to not pump as much that time for whatever weird reason and then end up in pain the next because I have clogs forming.

And my letdown really hurts sometimes.

I thought if I dropped a pumping session and went from every 3-3 1/2 hours to every 4, that I'd lessen my supply. Ironically the exact opposite seems to have happened!

I'm terrified to try block pumping, because that means each breast would only be pumped once every 8 hours. I'd be guaranteed a clog! But I make enough to feed 2 babies, and I end up having to dump most of my milk. The only good thing that comes of it is that my daughter is sensitive to caffeine. But since I make enough to dump, I just make sure that I dump the next two pumpings worth after the caffeine and by then, if there's any left (adults usually process caffeine in 3-7 hours) there'd be so little that it shouldn't have any effect on her.
    Momma to K 05/24/07 (due 05/31/07)
    Momma to I, 06/04/10 VBAC'd (due 05/31/10). Read about it here

Exclusive Pumper to first for 18 months.
    I got my VBAC!

Struggling with nursing but one way or another breast milk is all they get.

Krystal,
    First off, keep offering your breast. Have you tried offering it with a nipple shield?
    I posted this and didn't get a response for quite a while, so I experimented. Here's what worked for me:
    In the morning, pump out both breasts, then in 3 or 4 hours pump out 1 breast, then in 3 or 4 hours pump out the other breast, alternating like that. If the breast not getting pumped is really engorged and hurting, then just take out a couple ounces. Just enough to relieve your discomfort. The idea is that the full breast is telling your brain not to make so much. It's pretty rough the 1st 24 hours, but it gets better after that. If you get a plugged duct, then pump out the affected breast and start over. If you get painfully engorged in both breasts (very likely early on, especially at night), then pump them out and start over. The more time you have a breast full, the more it's telling your brain to stop making so much. After the first 24 hours of this, you'll notice improvement. Your breasts will not get so engorged. Then just keep it up. Pump out both breasts in the morning and start over. In a few days you won't have to pump out both breasts at once and can just do the alternating.
    If you can get your LO nursing with a nipple shield, then you can block nurse, which is easier. My baby is now exclusively nursing using a nipple shield. It's so much better. I just have to pump for comfort every now and then at this point. I still make way too much, but block nursing has it much more under control.

In the beginning I did but she never seemed satisified.

I was looking on a website and they had correct and incorrect photos for latching with a shield. I think I was doing it wrong; only the nipple part would end up in her mouth, she wouldn't be stimulating the areola below.

Thing is I'm terrified that if I put her on like you would your breast, so that she stimulates the areola too,that she'll peel off the shield and choke on it! The shield I had never wanted to stick on no matter what I did.

Hmm. I'll have to give it a try, though. I'd really love to get her nursing. In the beginning I was like "this is too much work, she screams, my nipples are too soft to get them back where they need to be -- 20 minutes of pumping is preferable to this".

But now as she's growing and starting to be such a cutie (the lc I talked to was right about the whole "you love them like mad at about 3 months") I want to nurse. That and I've gone back to work, so I only get to see her and play / hold / feed her from about 8pm to midnight.

How long did it take you before this started working? A week?
    Momma to K 05/24/07 (due 05/31/07)
    Momma to I, 06/04/10 VBAC'd (due 05/31/10). Read about it here

Exclusive Pumper to first for 18 months.
    I got my VBAC!

Struggling with nursing but one way or another breast milk is all they get.

My LO didn't take the shield when she was little bitty either and I thought not enough could come out of it. But now it is great. With our supply, there is plenty of milk with lots of force behind it.
    You kind of half turn it inside out and roll it onto the nipple, that way part of the areola is in the shield too. Her mouth is bigger now and she'll have some of the areola in her mouth anyway. Plus when she sucks, she'll end up pulling your nip deeper into the shield. It works out. What are those sites that show latch with a shield?
    I have not heard of a baby choking on the shield, have you? Just pay attention and don't fall asleep while nursing, if it worries you.
    Get her nursing with the shield, and then in a couple of weeks start removing the shield mid-feeding and try to see if she will latch onto the bare breast.

You asked "How long did it take you before this started working? A week?"
    I assume you mean about reducing milk production. I felt good improvement in just a few days.