Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: misc. pumping questions

Default misc. pumping questions

This is my first week back at work, so I'm trying to get used to the pumping schedule. I have a few questions about pumping & milk storage:
    1. I have the medela freezer bag - it is an insulated bag with a big ice pack in it. Is this enough to keep my milk cold for 10 or so hours? It seems cool still but I am a little paranoid.
    2. How many ounces should ds be taking at daycare? It seems like he is drinking a lot less than I am pumping. He goes at 7 am and I pick him up at 6 pm. This week he's been drinking 5 or 6 2.5 ounce bottles (12 - 15 oz. total). When I'm nursing at home, I feed him a lot more frequently than they do at the daycare (they don't let him go hungry or anything, I just have an obsession with nursing him often! ) so I'm not used to seeing only 5 feedings listed. His diapers seem to be enough though.
    3. Based on the above numbers, do you think he'll maintain this amount, or will he increase it as he gets used to bottles, daycare, etc. I would like to not pump at night if I don't have to, but then again I don't want to suddenly find myself short.

Thanks for your input, I might be back soon with more questions!!

Default Re: misc. pumping questions

1. Your milk can be room temp for 10 hours so I am that the bag is cool enough!
    2. How much he takes at daycare is up to him! Remember a lot of babies will take in less milk away from mom and make up for it by nursing more when you are around.
    3. I don't know how to predict that

Check this out: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/b...s-pumping.html

These are all questions I had too! I went back to work when Thomas was eight weeks old, which was almost 9 weeks ago. I have had no problems even on the rare occasions when I forgot my ice packs or didn't have access to a refrigerator; just the bag was enough. Thomas still does the not taking what I pump thing. I try to tell myself that it evens out overall, because I feed him in the morning and at lunch, and his dad feeds him one to two (usually one, because Thomas sleeps through one) while I'm at work. He is growing fine. Thomas sometimes wants to nurse a lot when I am at home, and sometimes it doesn't seem to be as big a deal. I try to go with the flow, sometimes much easier said than done. I generally don't pump at home unless he only takes one breast at a feeding and I'm uncomfortable (usually in the morning); then I just pump the fuller breast and leave a little more in the fridge that day. I think you'll find that it works itself out. People told me it would be so hard to do and I'd end up deciding it wasn't worth the trouble, but that couldn't be further from the truth. He'll let you know what to do, I promise!
    Paula

Your third question: I don't pump more often than I did at first, but my supply has increased as he has grown. It didn't require pumping; as long as you're nursing as much as you can when you're at home, your supply will do what it needs to meet his needs.

Using storage bags for breast milk should be fine with using your freezer bag. The storage bag will be close enough to the freezer bag to keep it cool and fresh. I don't use a bag, I just put the little bottles in a paper bag and store them in the fridge at work until I get home.
    For your second question, I take out 2 4oz bags for her. She seems to be fine with that for an 9 hour day. I feed her right before I leave and then as soon as I get home. Talk with your day-care provider about your LO feedings. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to send extra until you get it all figured out.

I agree with the PP. When I first started back to work my LO took very little milk. Luckily, the day care is in my building so I could go nurse once or twice a day to get her comfortable with daycare. If you are producing mor emilk than your LO will take I would reccomend that you freeze it as a freezer stash for a couple of reasons.

First, you never know when you are going to get sick or somehting and will need to take meds you do not want your baby getting via the breast. Second, it is always nice to know you have a milk stash for those days when you are back to work and stressed out and the girls just decide not to create as much milk. My breast are very emotional and if I am stressed or upset - I can not pump out milk at all. Third, if you end up with a freezer full of milk you can always donate it to babies that need it via a milk donor program. PM me if you want to know more about milk donating.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk