Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: help i think dd is having diarrhea!

Default help i think dd is having diarrhea!

not a pleasant topic, i know but dd is 3 1/2 months old and breastfed exclusively. yesterday she began having very loud gas accompanied by very loose/watery stool and i checked a couple of websites to try and find out if it is in fact diarrhea or not and it seems to be. my question is, should i give her some water? should i also try to get in touch with her doctor or one of his nurses this weekend or can i wait til monday?
    i'm very worried. she's been sleeping differently and she's also been more active while i nurse(kicking some and grabbing at clothing) but she hasn't been fussier than usual so, yeah. i don't know if this could be related to the diarrhea or not.
    any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

Default Re: help i think dd is having diarrhea!

DD just got over something similar and it was Rotavirus. You can check out: http://www.rotavirusinfo.com and read more info. Our ped said it it was a virus and has to run it's course. He reccomended Pedilite and that worked well.

I'm confused. Isn't an exclusively-breastfed 3month old supposed to have watery stools? Mine's 4 months and nothing solid comes out of him. LOL.

Also, I don't think water or pedialite are necessary for a breastfed baby. Breastmilk is best.

JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffs_hope
    DD just got over something similar and it was Rotavirus. You can check out: http://www.rotavirusinfo.com and read more info. Our ped said it it was a virus and has to run it's course. He reccomended Pedilite and that worked well.
    Did your daughter have any other symptoms? DD hasn't been vomiting or anything and she's had plenty of wets, so I don't think she's dehydrated.

Also her stools are normally pretty loose, but now she doesn't have any "chunks" at all; it all pretty much soaks into the bottom layer of the diaper immediately, unlike normal dirties.

That does sound like diarrhea. Basically as if you poured apple juice into her diaper. Quite distinct from the mustard- or yogurt-consistency of normal breastfed poops.

Keep breastfeeding -- it's the most digestible food for her, and the most re-hydrating liquid. Also, by continuing to nurse, your immune system can support hers through whatever is causing this illness. There is no need for water or pedialyte. Watch her closely for signs of dehydration or fever. If she gets listless and stops nursing, then that would be a red flag.

If she's still having diarrhea on Monday, I would probably call her doctor.

--Rebecca

thanks for the input, everyone. i'm hoping i won't have to take her to the doc but if she doesn't get 'regular' tomorrow i'll definetly take her in monday.

Nothing is needed for your daughter besides breastmilk. What are you eating? Have you changed your diet at all? Eaten anything new, unusual? A lot of something?

It is VERY unusual for a breastfed baby to get rotovirus. (Not saying the PP baby didn't have it...my son was 18 months and hospitalized because of it, and he was still nursing! They are supposed to be protected from this virus!)

Sarah

the only new thing i've eaten is avocados

Is she better? Any discomfort? Any mucous or blood?

If it makes you feel any better, my son who is almost 8 months old had poop that varied in texture, color and consistency since birth. Even when I ate the same exact thing day after day (turkey, rice, and carrots)

Drooling (teething) I have heard can make poop runny, because of the extra fluid (drool). maybe something to think about?!

Give the doctor a call, but try not to be too worried. As long as she is peeing okay you should be safe! Never be afraid to ask the doctor anything, day or night! That is why they get paid the big bucks!

Sarah

My son, who's 11 weeks old, also has watery poops sometimes. It basically looks like stained water in his diaper. I've noticed he gets this when he's had a lot of gas. It doesn't usually last longer than a day though. I just continue to bf.

I hope everything returned to normal.