Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: growth charts breast feeding enough

Default growth charts breast feeding enough

My son is almost 14 months. He is nursing all the time. When it is time to eat he just throws his food off the table for the dog. He only takes a couple bites here and there. I was ok with this thinking he nurses so much he is getting his nourashment there. Then I went to his well baby appointment and found he was not even on the growth chart.(weighed 6-12 at birth and now is 17-3) Though if you look not just at his weight,but at the whole picture he is meeting all his milestones, running around, full of energy. He is small, but does not act like he is malnourished. The doctor seamed very concerned and wants me to start giving him formula. She does'nt think I am making enough milk. That does not seem right? Breast is supposed to be best!! Does any one have advice, encouragement. This has had me really upset. I think my little one can tell because he is now eating even less solids!

Default Re: growth charts breast feeding enough

I know there are some moms on here that will be able to share similar experiences. If you think he is healthy, then go with that and don't let the doctor scare you.

I don't think that formula will be a magic solution to low weight anyway. Your breastmilk has more calories in the good hindmilk anyway!

yup!
    heres some info that might help:
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns..._increase.html

Unhappy Re: growth charts breast feeding enough

My son anthony was one of the hard baby to breastfeed every time he would get up and would put him on then he would fall back to sleep. He had a low weight the dr. told me I was doing something wrong. So my dr. told me I need to stop breastfeeding my son. So after he told me that he gives me some formula for him. I was a mother of 2 kids the first one I could not breastfeed her that long because I had seizers so I had to stop. But when I had my son I had them when I was pg with him. But after I did not have them no more. All he would do is get up and I would try to feed him then he would take on drink then fall back to sleep. I fall like a bad mother after me dr. told me I was doing something wrong. But now my son is 8 years old and yes I did put him on formula but I did not like do that at all. If I know want I know today I would have looked at the dr. told him there is no way I would put him on formula at all.
    Have you tried nursing first then try give him food. I know how want you’re talking about my son Jaydon did that to me. he did not eat food in till he was not nursing no more I ask my LLL and she told me it is ok for him to do this but first nurse him then give him some food if that don’t work then just nurse him and see if that is what wants. I hope this help you some. Good luck to you

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ler-foods.html Here is a good link that kinda applies to you. Andrea ohio posted it in another thread, but it made me think of you.

Giving him formula is a ridiculous solution to the problem. What will formula do? BM has more calories and if he is nursing all the time you are making more milk all the time. At 14 months he should be eating some solids and the fact that he is not eating is causing the problem (if there is any???) Have you tried taking him for a walk outside and trying to slip in some high-calorie foods into his mouth while he is watching other kids or something? I tried it today and my son, who is a very bad solid eater, ate quiet a bit. If that doesn't work, you can give him avocado and banana or some other naturally nutritious milk shakes or yogurt smoothies instead of formula (which is basically artificial vitamin crap).