Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Does my baby have colic???

Default Does my baby have colic???

My LO turned 3 weeks yesterday and for the past few days, has been quite fussy during the day and at night. Since the first week, we have had problems getting him to go down in his cradle at night, particularly after his late night (usually around 3am) feeding. He will eat for a looooong time (at least 20 minutes each side) and then when I take him off, he'll be dozing. I'll rock him for a bit and then put him down. A couple minutes later, he's wide-eyed and crying. So me or my DH will pick him up and rock him. His eyes will get heavy and he'll seem to be sleeping and then he'll all of a sudden start wailing. This will go on until it's time for him to eat again. For the past few days now, he's doing this during the day, too. The only way to get him to calm down is to take him for a walk in his stroller, but even this doesn't always work, nor is it an option in the middle of the night. We've tried his papasan vibrating chair, his swing, a sling, laying down together skin to skin, and just traditional rocking. I'm completely exhausted and feeling very frustrated. I'm a fairly easy-going person and truly believed that if I was relaxed, my baby would be relaxed. Not the case so far. I do not know why I cannot soothe him. Can colic start this early? My biggest worry is that this is only the beginning and it will only get worse from here on out. Need some help...

Default Re: Does my baby have colic???

No, no, it will get BETTER! I promise!

Your LO is very young and still adjusting to his new world. Some babies are more sensitive than others, and it's very trying for mom and dad. We had a rough first few weeks too. Now, it could be colic, but it could just be that he's being a baby.

I think the official definition of colic is crying for 3 or more hours for 3 or more days in a row for 3 or more weeks in a row. Dr. Sears says that if you're not sure if your LO has colic, he probably doesn't, because if he did there would be no question! You might want to check out The Baby Book by Dr. Sears. There is info in there on colic and high-needs babies and things to try for calming and comforting.

Regardless, know that it takes at least 6 weeks for most babies to get adjusted and settle down. And even the ones with colic settle around 3-4 months. I know right now that probably seems like forever (it did for me), but hang in there, because it will get better. You're doing great, mama!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

So sorry you're having a hard time.
    First thing to remember: this WILL pass.
    I have heard excellent recommendations for the book Happiest Baby on the Block by Harvey Karp. One of the main suggestions is swaddling in conjunction with certain noises and movements to make baby feel safe and secure and create a "womblike" environment. I hear it is a quick read and I definitely plan on checking it out for my next baby!
    HTH

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

We watched the Happiest Baby on the Block DVD. I can't honestly say it worked for us exactly how Dr. Karp says to do it. However, we did implement a lot of the principles in our own way, and they do work. So definitely check it out.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

dr sears has some great info on fussy babies.
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/T051200.asp

sometimes they just cry alot! and thats normal for them.
    Babies like to nurse alot sometimes up to 12 times in 24 hours.
    you'll get to know what works for your baby it just takes some time.

I'd also like to add that nursing a long time on each side is ok too. Tiring, but ok. My dd used to nurse for like 45 min on each side at times. In these early days you just have to go with the flow, GL!

IMO it could be the 3 week growth spurt babies want to be on breast 24/7 at gowing times.

Becky