Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bruises?!

Default Bruises?!

Two nights ago my son (11 weeks) did this twisty funky thing with my nipple and the next day I realized he had bruised me! It hurts a bit to nurse him now, but it's nothing compared to the real pain I had the first week. Then tonight, my other breast started hurting where he's sucking and I've noticed he's just sucking harder and harder. WHAT is going on and how can I stop this before it gets worse?! I feel as if I just don't have enough milk for him right now and he's just trying to suck it out but all it seems to be doing is hurting me.

Also, he's started biting down on me and I'd like to try to stop him before his teeth come in! (Maybe someone can link to another thread for this one.)

Thanks for any help.

Default Re: Bruises?!

well I'm sorry ur LO hurt u my gosh ur eyes must have been watering! I hope you feel better... as far as anything else I've hear moms who get bit say they are always ready to unlatch them... and if it gets bad push ur LOs nose into your boob so he unlatches and pulls off (they hate that and stop biting quicker) good luck and I hope u feel better! HTH

Default Re: Bruises?!

I had a similar problem early on when I was still learning to breastfeed. My problem was a poor latch. She wasn't getting the nipple and areola far enough into her mouth so she was just sucking on the end of the nipple. Sometimes, too, she would pull off part of the way when my milk let down really fast so I'd have to re-latch her a couple times during a feeding.