Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I've come to join in the fun.

Default I've come to join in the fun.

Audrey is one today. I thought for so long that we would be lucky to make it to a year, and never expected to last for long past that. But here we are with no end in sight.

I must confess that for a long while I fell into the category of people who thought it strange to nurse for too long after a year. Not that there was a specific cut off age or anything... People always say stuff like "that's too old" or something and I thought that too. But when it is your baby, you realize that maybe it is not so old. Not at all....

Anyway, to be honest, I still have some mixed emotions about being an EBFer (no flames please) but today we went to the pedi who said I definitely shouldn't be in a hurry to wean, and that Audrey especially would benefit from two years of breastfeeding (with her allergies, slow weight gain, etc). And I was so relieved to hear her say that.

I guess at the end of the day I don't believe in MLW or CLW either one. I guess I just expect that we will get there in a mutual way. I feel so attached and in tune to her needs that I suspect I will know when the time is right. But that little encouragement was all I needed to be like "Yeah I am still breastfeeding and I feel great about it."

So thanks for listening to me ramble....

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

Default Re: I've come to join in the fun.

Very well put Misty!! I feel the same way about getting there mutually. Congrats on making it this far and Happy Birthday Audrey!!!

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Way to go!! Happy Birthday, Audrey!
    I'm so glad your pedi was supportive. I think many of us find our ideas about breastfeeding and parenting in general to evolve as time goes on. I thought I was going to wean DD by one year for a while too.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Happy Birthday Audrey!!

Mama to DD Mariah 04/03 2lbs 8oz BF 2yrs 1 day!
    DS Ryan 07/06 4lbs 15 oz No solids until 18 mo's!
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" Gandhi

Happy Birthday Audrey!!!!!!
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

Congrats Misty! That is awesome! Maybe I need to get the name of your Ped. Ours is not very BF friendly.

I hope Audrey had a great birthday!

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06