Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Refusing the bottle

Default Refusing the bottle

Trouble has hit now, I think my 4 1/2 month old is now starting to refuse the bottle when I am not available. He never had a problem taking it before when I pumped and left him one, however now, it's a different story. For whatever reason, he hasn't taken it from anyone, and just fusses till I get there. Then he acts as if he is starving. Any suggestions how to get him back interested in it. The bottles that I am using are the playtex nursers (same as before) 1st stage nipple.

Default Re: Refusing the bottle

A lot of people use the stage 1 nipples during the whole time they are nursing so that the baby does not get used to the faster flow. However, we had to move to the stage 2 nipples when DD was about 3 months old because she got extremely frustrated with the bottle. It was like she could not get it out very fast. After we switched, she did fine. I have no idea if this would help your lo or not. Like I said, some warn against using a faster flow nipple.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

just wanted to let you know that i am in the exact same situation. i wish i had an answer for you.

Rule out a lipase problem (enzyme in milk that makes it go bad quickly). Look it up. I think I had that problem but didn't know about it and my baby NEVER took a bottle.

Otherwise, have the caregiver feed baby in a different way than you do.. facing away, or facing caregiver but placed in a bouncy seat. One more month and you can leave him with applesauce.

Have you had someone try cup feeding? That's what we used to have to do. My dd was outright insulted by bottles lol. But she would take EBM from a cup.
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

This might sound a little foolish, but any suggestions as to what type of cup to leave, and how do you introduce it.

I had to switch to the nubby sippy cups around that age (suggested by the dr). They have a soft spout so if they chew on it or suck the milk comes out. You may also want to try the bottles that are like bf that lo will have to compress and suck to get the milk out. I think they are called breast flow by the first years. I got mine at Target. They did not take to them at first, but eventually I was able to get dd to take it a couple of times. DS just flat out refused any type of bottle and would only do the sippy cups.
    Nancy
    Mom to Elijah & Audrey 9/19/06
    Twin GERDlings

for 21 mo

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    just wanted to let you know that i am in the exact same situation. i wish i had an answer for you.
    ME TOO!
    Very frustrating! My LO is 12 weeks old and she is also refusing a bottle.
    I have now tried:
    -avent
    -playtex nurser
    -breastflow
    -dr. browns
    -gerber preemie nipples
    -evenflo
    -nuk

I'm sure there are others...I am getting so frustrated!!!!!

TM is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I've tried ALL bottles.Some babies are like the other poster said "insulted by bottles". SOMETIMES she will drink from a sippy cup, if she's in a good mood. I've found that toddler sippy cups work best or I just have my husband feed her cereal while I'm gone.

I will find out tomorrow how he does again. I never realized that the times he has flat out refused the bottle, that it contained bm that was frozen. He never had a problem before, but I always had used fresh breastmilk. Tomorrow will be fresh breast milk from the fridge and we hope he takes it then. I am definitely going to try the nubby sippy cups though.