Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baby-led solid food introduction

Default Re: Baby-led solid food introduction

ok so i gave dd a pear last night and she loved it! Pears seem to be the perfect consistency because she can just bite at it and what comes off is soft. How would you give a baby other things without the parts that come off being chokable?

I read this when my 11 month old was 6 months and we've totally done this. It's awesome!

TheMacMomma - What were some of the things you gave your dc? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Lexi'sMama
    TheMacMomma - What were some of the things you gave your dc? Thanks!
    Lexi's Mama, we gave/give him all kinds of things. He loved chunks of (cooked) sweet potatoes at first and his all time favorite food is black beans. We just pour them out of the can, rinse them, put them in storage container with some olive oil, and give him a few at a time. Sometimes I put a little garlic powder on them. He has always just shoveled them in! We tried bannanas, but he doesn't really like them. Avacado is great, but expensive, so it's a treat. He likes peas, esp frozen ones when he's teething.

It was just a couple of weeks before he graduated to cooked squash and broccoli. He eats the inside out of the squash and throws down the peel, the same way he eats the heads of the brocolli and throw the stem down. He has a pretty sensitive gag reflex, so sometimes he'll get too long a piece of something in his mouth and kind of gag. However, he always deals with it fine on his own.

The only time it was a problem was when my mom gasped b/c she thought he was choking, so he gasped back. Gasping is not exactly something one wants to do with food in his throat! lol

After about a month, we got to where we just hand him pieces of what we eat. He recently discovered chunks of seasoned, firm tofu. We avoid more solid spongey foods, like hotdog and popcorn, b/c of the choking hazard.

Basically, if you stick with the whole food philosophy (as in not processed food) I think you're safe...bearing in mind any family history of allergens.

Ori loves to eat!

Mines eats broccoli, beans, pears, bananas, asparagus, cauliflower, peas, small pieces of carrots, shredded beef and chicken, rice, pasta, sweet potatoes, peaches, nectarines, cheerios; just to mention a few. They're very soft and easy for him to grasp.

Thanks a bunch!

I live in the Netherlands so the link to the borstvoeding.com site jumped out at me.

I'm glad I came to this forum because my baby girl will be 5 months on Sunday and although I've already been given the green light to start introducing solilds, I was planning to hold off until 7 or 8 months. I was comtemplating letting my baby let me know when she's ready for solids. I'm just not sure HOW to do it. When the 6-month mark arrives, do I just hand her half an apple and see what happens? I've read that as long as a baby can't sit up by herself, she isn't ready for solids. This lends nicely to the warning that a baby should never be fed lying down.

I've been thinking of giving her fist-sized pieces of fruit to see how she reacts. I know she'll most likely chew on it like she does with her toys.

I'm curious to hear from those veteran Moms/Mommies who have already tried this type of solid food introduction.

I can just see my Mother-in-law's face when I tell her my plan. She wasn't too supportive about breastfeeding. She assumed I'd stop once my maternity leave ended. She overlooked my opportunity to breastfeed weekends, days off, evenings, and nights!