Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My weaning story

Default My weaning story

I guess this is a good place to put it! I just thought I would share.

E was an avid nurser since birth. He went through the toddler years nursing frequently. He nursed through my pregnancy with A, even after I had no milk at all. I cut him down to a minute at a time, whenever I could tolerate it, and still he kept on. He was 28 months when A was born, and the day the milk came in was so exciting to him!

E also has Asperger Syndrome, and is SO intense. Nursing has saved us from many an amazing meltdown. He'd taken to saying, through huge tears, "mama milk makes me feel better, please!!"

Somewhere near the beginning of October, I asked him if 4 year olds still had mama milk. That was it. I didn't insinuate that they shouldn't, or even suggest that he wouldn't. Just asked. He thought for a minute, and said "no, 4 year olds don't need mama milk." I asked him what his last day of mama milk would be, and he said "November 13th", the day before his birthday. He always said it with a smile on his face, and if I suggested a different day (like November 14th), he was adamant about November 13th.

On October 31st, E had his tonsils and adenoids out. I was so thankful that the surgery was scheduled before his "weaning date." He needed mama milk so much in recovery. He nursed as soon as he was coherent in recovery at the hospital, and we were able to leave less than 1 hour after surgery. He nursed a lot the next few days, and he was able to keep hydrated. He nursed, and you know the amazing power of breastmilk--he was eating regular food (including a HAMBURGER!) just 3 days after surgery. He never had the tramatic "scabs falling off" regression that I knew was supposed to happen. He had such a smooth recovery, and I know breastmilk played such a big role in that.

However, he had drastically increased his nursing, and I wasn't so sure he'd be emotionally ready to be done nursing. So I started hinting that it would be OK if he needed to keep nursing after November 13th. But he maintained that 4 year olds don't need mama milk.

November 14th dawned, a new 4 year old in my house! He loved his birthday, the first year he was really aware of it being such a special day for him. He did make mention a few times during the day that he wasn't going to have mama milk anymore, but the true test was going to be bedtime. He was tired (he'd been awake since 4:30 am, and bedtime was later due to birthday dinner and presents), and he started in with his "I need mama milk", a common phrase heard at bedtime.

However, this time he interrupted himself and said , in a VERY cheerful voice, "4 year olds don't NEED mama milk!" I asked him if they needed snuggles, he said yes, and it was off to bed to snuggle.

I was still worried about the middle of the night, because he'd still been night-waking some since the surgery. I normally nurse him, and he goes right back to sleep. I wasn't sure he'd be coherent enough in the middle of the night to go through the "4 year olds don't need..." mantra, so I was prepared to need to nurse him. But it didn't happen! Yes, he woke up. But all he asked for was snuggles. Not ONCE did he even ask to nurse.

Here we are, a few months later, and he's happy, content, joyful, snuggly. Still my little boy, no longer my little nursling. So far, I don't really miss nursing him. I was ready for the relationship to come to a close, and right now I'm enjoying our "new" relationship. I know I will miss it with time, though. I loved nursing him, I loved that special relationship. I'm so thankful we could nurse so long, I'm so glad he'll have positive memories of nursing.

Default Re: My weaning story

Thank you for sharing your story with us and Way to go on nursing for so long!! (and you've got one right behind him nursing??) You are definately strong!! I'm ready to stop at one year, but i do get sad thinking about losing the time shared between us when he nurses. I figure I'll keep up the night and morning nursing times because it's just easier to get him settled that way. I have wondered about weaning at the age when they can tell mom "no more", but i don't think i can handle bf that long! We do plan on moving when he's 13 months old, so i thought i should wait till we're settled into our new home before i try to completely wean him, so i guess that'll keep him on a little longer!!

Thanks for sharing your story! It was beautiful & i hope that ours ends so peacefully. My dd is 3 1/2 and hasn't decided to be done yet. We shall see as she matures to be 4 if that realization doesn't happen with her as well.

I'm willing to wait until we can both be happy about weaning

What a lovely story. I must say it made me feel a bit sad I'm nursing my 26 mo and my 7 mo. My 26 mo has not nursed during the day for 4 days(I told him we only nurse in bed, now) It is so bittersweet. There are many moments that I want him to wean, but I will miss my nursing toddler. I have two teenagers and know how quickly they grow up.

Thanks for reading! It makes me all nostalgic to read it

Thanks for posting your beautiful story. It made me cry!

As mom to a 10-month old boy who is getting more and more active every day, I'm starting to be a little sad about the prospects of the breastfeeding days getting fewer... I hope it won't be for a while yet! Now, if only the milk would continue to cooperate!