Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I stopped b/f for almost 24 hours

Default I stopped b/f for almost 24 hours

without weaning my daughter( I know stupid) and I realized the reason she was so grumpy was b/c she missed being bf! So I immediately pumped out 4 oz and then b/f her before she went to bed that night and then again at midnight. Now my breasts are back to there pre-pregnancy size and barley any milk is coming out! Does this mean that my milk is gone? I feel really bad b/c I stopped so soon its just she ALWAYS grunted and pulled away when I b/f her so I thought me stopping and just going straight to formula (she was on both prior) would help her but nope she wants breastmilk at certain times of the day and now I don't know if I am going to produce any. Ladies please don't judge me for stopping so abruptly I really didn't think she would notice b/c with my ds I was able to stop and he never noticed so I thought I could do the same with her. Any suggestions? Is there any way for me to get my milk supply coming back? I did try pumping a few minutes ago and a lot more comes out of my left breast then my right one which was hardly any on the right side.

Default Re: I stopped b/f for almost 24 hours

If you were able to pump 4 oz. it sounds like you must still have a fairly good supply. It shouldn't be that difficult to build it back up to the needed level. The most important thing to get it going again is to nurse--the more your baby nurses the more milk you will make and the faster your full supply will return. Good luck!

Get yourself some mommy's milk tea and drink plenty of it! And keep your little one nursing as much as you can, on both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by llowe
    If you were able to pump 4 oz. it sounds like you must still have a fairly good supply. It shouldn't be that difficult to build it back up to the needed level. The most important thing to get it going again is to nurse--the more your baby nurses the more milk you will make and the faster your full supply will return. Good luck!

This is usually true, great advice! Also be sure to take in plenty of water. It may take a day or two or three to get it back up to where it was, but it shouldn't be difficult at all. Nurse, nurse, nurse. That is the ONE true way to ensure a proper milk supply.