Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to latch laying down?

Default Re: How to latch laying down?

I sit up, hold DS2 sort of upright and latch him on that way, and then lay down on my side with him latched on.

Honestly, I think it takes alot of practice at first, I know I had a hard time with my first one not because I'm big breasted, only a 36 B when breastfeeding, but just getting used to it was hard because at least for me if I couldn't see the nose or such I was worried my little one would suffocate, I do find however I lay to my side I lift my bottom arm up and baby lays on the bed with no real support, I do lay my top arm over him, or above my head, It's hard when they are real little but it does get eaiser, when they have more head control, Keep trying you'll get it, I found it eaisier to try at nap times so I had some light in the beggining, Hope to help !!

Red face Re: How to latch laying down?

i love nursing while laying down. i can't imagine not co-sleeping and not nursing this way. it's so interesting how your perspective changes once you're 'in it', you know?

i had trouble at first too, but you just have to keep trying, as it really is a godsend. a helpful tip i got from a friend of mine is to cradle the baby in the crook of your armpit to raise the baby off the bed and closer to your nipple. we don't always have to do that now as he's getting bigger and a little more co-ordinated, but it helped in the beginning (gah! just a few weeks ago!).

i think it has saved my brain because i pretty much go back to sleep once my baby boy has gotten himself latched (small boobs, must do the sandwich thing for him most times). the problem we're having now is gas. by the time he 'disengages', he's asleep AND i'm asleep and neither of us are in the mood to burp. this seems to be leading to a lot of morning spit up and gas.

any tips for middle of the night burping?

Quote Originally Posted by noodlenerd View Post
    When I started nursing lying down I would lay DD on the bed and prop myself up on one elbow, latch her on, then lower my body to the bed. After a few nights of nursing lying down she was a pro at latching without my help! As pper said, it took me while to figure out what to do with my arms so that they were comfortable. I am also small breasted - which I thought made nursing lying down more difficult - but maybe it is just awkward the first few times no matter what size your breasts are.
    This is exactly how i have been learnign to do this.

This is my daughter's favorite position, especially before nap time. I'm a 38DD now, so judging by the rest of the responses, breast size isn't a factor.
    I just hold her to me (tummy to tummy) with my hand on her back and my legs brought up so that my thighs give support to her feet. I swaddle her sometimes beforehand too. This position is easier for me because I dont' have to support my boob with my hand to get her to latch. The bed does it for me.