Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk coming out of nose/ low weight gain

Default Milk coming out of nose/ low weight gain

Hi everyone,

I am new here and have some questions/problems I am hoping you might be able to help me with. I have a 5 month old son. He was born a little underweight (2.9kgs) and is still having trouble gaining it. He is in the last percentile for weight but off the charts lengthwise in the opposite direction! I have been breast feeding exclusively until 3 weeks ago when I introduced banana, peach a week later and now carrots just once a day. I did it because he was VERY interested in my food and to see if it would help to put some weight on him. I decided today I won't feed solids anymore, just bmilk because I am worried I am not making enough milk.
    The last couple days I've noticed when he feeds lying down, the milk comes out his nose (we co-sleep and I feed him twice in the night lying down on my side). He didn't used to do this and I am wondering if I should be alarmed.
    He usually has about 5 wet/poopy diapers, though today so far, none. I am also concerned because the heat here is unbearable (103 farenheit) that he isn't getting hydrated. He sweats profusely too, even in his sleep.
    Otherwise, he is perfect and doing very well, alert, active, accomplishing all the right milestones, happy etc. I am just getting frantic that he isn't gaining, even lost weight from yesterday. He has been hovering at 6kgs for nearly a month.
    I pump at night when he goes to sleep and supplement with that in the morning. I also drink fenugreek to boost supply. I will again start pumping after each feeding which was in the past very frustrating because the yield was so low and the time I spent pumping/feeding was exhausting.
    My mother is pressuring me to use formula as did my ped and my partner keeps asking if he is eating ok, gaining ok etc. I live in a country where breast feeders are the minority and birth by c-section the most common way to deliver a baby....

Any tips or insight would be great. Thanks so much!

Default Re: Milk coming out of nose/ low weight gain

when they start getting around on there own steam their weight can stay the same.
    How often is baby nursing? Sometimes just offering more often helps with weight gain.
    And you can always try breast compressions.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enoughmilk-older.html

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns..._increase.html

I feed him on demand, every 2 hours or so! If it goes over 2 hrs, I feed him anyway. The breast compression is a little painful for me.
    Any ideas about the milk coming from the nose?
    He finally pooped and it was very orange from the carrot. I think it constipated him, poor boy.

Hmm. Sometimes my LO will spit-up out his nose, but it doesn't usually just run out while breastfeeding. I don't want to scare you, but I think I would consult his pediatrician on that one. I hope it's just nothing.