Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hair Pulling and scratching..?

Default Hair Pulling and scratching..?

My almost five month old is pulling her hair and now has a huge bald spot on the left side of her head. She was born with a lot of hair just like my other two kids, so I am not really freaking out about the hair so much. I am more concerned that now that she has no more hair to pull, she is still going back to the same spot with same hand and scratching her now exposed scalp. Its mostly when she is nursing on the left side, but I have also seen her do it in her sleep (seems to be only at night). My husband is a SAHD and is left handed. So he holds her on his right side when feeding her so her right hand is the more exposed one. He says she doesn't do it then and when I feed her on the right side she doesn't do it. My son would wind his fingers in his hair during nursing (he is three now and still will play with his hair when drinking from a cup which is funny to me ). So I am thinking maybe its a comfort thing that has gone too far?
    I try putting the mittens on her hands or a sock and cut her nails, but is there anything more I should be doing? I thought it seems so weird that she only does it on one side. I hate that she is starting to have scrapes on her scalp from the constant scratching and pulling.

Default Re: Hair Pulling and scratching..?

DS did that--more on one side than another. He just had scratches until he outgrew the scratching habit. Sorry, no advice other than this too shall pass.

Default Re: Hair Pulling and scratching..?

Thanks...that alone helps. I kept trying to figure out if maybe something I was doing was causing it.