Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to latch laying down?

Default How to latch laying down?

Any tips on how to nurse laying down? I cannot seem to get a deep enough latch this way. It would be nice not to have to get up and set up on the couch first thing in the morning...

Default Re: How to latch laying down?

i'd love to know also, i have never been able to do it. i was thinking i might be to busty!

Me too, I can do it, but I am not comfortable, which kindof defeats the purpose! But I was thinking I'm not busty enough
    Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years

I'm huge...38DD normally. Now with breastfeeding I'm probably a DDDD. Anyhoo, I'm able to latch lying down. It helps too as the baby's mouth is at a different angle. This gives the regular spots a break.
    I usre the same technique, which requires some patience but i hold a bit of the nipple and wait for her mouth to be wide enough. its comfortable.

I just learned a new reclining position that I love. Have the baby face you and straddle one leg. Use the arm on the same side to support the neck (the inside of the upper arm will touch the baby's ear and I hold onto my little guys bottom). I found the arm position a little awkward at first. Latch on and relax! I have small breasts and I need to lift it a bit to help my LO find the nipple, so I'm sure those of you with larger breast will have to do the same. When I'm lying in bed I use a pillow under my arm so that it doesn't get tired. HTH.
    Melissa, mom to my very busy 4-year-old little man and super busy 2-year-old princess.

When I started nursing lying down I would lay DD on the bed and prop myself up on one elbow, latch her on, then lower my body to the bed. After a few nights of nursing lying down she was a pro at latching without my help! As pper said, it took me while to figure out what to do with my arms so that they were comfortable. I am also small breasted - which I thought made nursing lying down more difficult - but maybe it is just awkward the first few times no matter what size your breasts are.

At first it wasn't comfortable for us either and that seems so long ago bc now when she wakes up at 3:30a.m. there's no other way to nurse her kwim. I'm small breasted too (36b) and what I do is face her to me so we're stomach to stomach and prop my head up with a pillow and my arm is usually above my head doing something. You'll get the hang of it.
    My name is Rosie and I'm a mother to 3 girls and 2 boys

My girls:Janessa 10.30.93, Reanna 03.25.99 and Mylee 09.20.06
    My sons, Isaiah 07.16.97 and Shawn 09.12.08

I also ensure she latches while i'm a little raised off the bed before lying down.

I found having a thick, supportive pillow for my head helped raise my shoulder up a bit and made me more comfortable.

I am a large breasted woman - 38G - and at first it was REALLY hard for me. Now I lay tummy to tummy with DS and stretch my arm up and out. once DS got the hang of it - he can latch on his own unless he is really fussy and then I have to nipple sammich for him. Just practice until you find what works for you - might not be 'conventional' but those extra moments for sleeping are wonderful! You'll be conapping and feeding without even knowing it before long