Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: help burping the baby!

Default help burping the baby!

i have a VERY difficult time getting baby to burp at all. right now he is 2 weeks old, getting only breastmilk, mainly from a bottle, but does not seem to hardly every burp. any suggestions or good techniques for burping him?

on a side note - he eats probably 2 -5 ounces at a time, and eats approx. every 1 - 3 hours (on ave. every 2 hours). he eats a lot, generally 3 - 4 oz at a time. he occasionally spits up, but it is hard for me to judge how much he spits up. it looks like a lot, but probably is not.

Default Re: help burping the baby!

My LO didn't burp much in the first weeks either - my pediatrician said he may not need to burp every time...so I went with that. If I tried for awhile and he didn't burp, then we just left it at that.

If you are burping up on your shoulder your LO's chest should be about where your collar bone is. If burping leaning over your leg, pillow or hand - the pressure on LO's chest helps.

Good luck, but don't stress it too much. Your's may not be taking in much air when feeding.
    Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years

Any position that puts some pressure on LO's tummy should help. Also, try lowering him to a lying-down position and then raising him back up so that he's upright. You might have to do this several times, but it can help the bubbles start moving. Some mamas have also found that some gentle bouncing up and down (in an upright position) moves the bubbles. Early on, Haley often burped when I put my hands under her armpits and lifted her straight up. I don't know why, but it worked.

And, sometimes they just don't have to burp. Haley sometimes will burp a ton and other times not at all. It just depends on how much air they took in at that feeding, if any. When Haley is fussier or pulling off the nipple more, she tends to burp more.

As long as your LO does not seem distressed because of excess air/gas, I wouldn't worry about it. Just try to burp him, and if after trying for a while it doesn't happen, then he probably just doesn't need to burp.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

I agree with pp. The only other suggestion would be that if you don't already burp him about the middle of the feeding you could try that. Usually one would try burping between breast, but if he's on a bottle then try about half way through.
    It was fun for me to see that lying the baby on their back and then trying to burp was something someone else had suggested. I thought I was the only one who did that. The bouncing baby is something I have tried recently with my almost 6 mos old, and that works very well for us. Good luck

BF babies normally don't burp as much since they don't swallow air as bottle fed babies do.

My favorite burping technique which I learned from the Baby Whisperer is to run the babies back while holding them with their arms over your shoulder. Just do an upward rub. She explains the pat burp as shaking a bag of water filled with water. As you pat the bag the water spits up just as milk does if you pat their backs like some moms do.

I normally burp between breasts or when my LO one seems fussy at the breast.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Quote Originally Posted by MommyF View Post
    It was fun for me to see that lying the baby on their back and then trying to burp was something someone else had suggested. I thought I was the only one who did that.
    I learned this from my mom, so I think it's one of those tried and true methods that maybe just isn't as well-known anymore? It works, though!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

DS always burps as we walk down the stairs (upright position). it's the bouncing that helps get the air out.

i also burp DS in between feedings (nursed or bottle-fed). you could also put your child in a sitting position on your knee and bounce/rock him like a horse.

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

Gabe born on September 07, 2004

Jacob born on May 29, 2007

My LO doesn't burp all that much but I always try between breasts. Sometimes he will burp during the diaper change after for some reason going from the motion laying down to me picking him back up.

Anyways, I never really worry if he's burping enough.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

My husband will hold our daughter up near his ear and rock her gently. He says he can hear the milk sloshing in her stomach doing this. When she sloshes, she needs a burp. When she doesn't, she doesn't.

I've tried but I can never hear her the supposed sloshing.

We find with her that what works best is to sit her up on our lap, hand around her chin for support (look in a book for exact positioning). Sometimes gentle bouncing helps, and sometimes, as Haley's Mom said, laying her down then sitting her up gently helps. In fact, many times our little girl will burp as we sit her up to burp her.