Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windmill Arm

Default Windmill Arm

Haley has started something new. Over the last couple weeks, when she nurses she almost always has her free arm doing circles over her head. She'll start with her hand on my breast, throw it back behind her head (sometimes she gets stuck on her ear and grabs onto that, but it doesn't usually last long), rub her hand over her hair, then down to her face (around her eyes), then back to the breast, and so on. She doesn't seem distressed, but she is in this constant circular motion (unless she's half-asleep; then she's still). Sometimes she gets really violent, whacking my boob, scratching on my arm, and scratching at her head, which is leaving little flakes of dry skin all over her scalp. It makes it a little hard to keep her latched on and comfortable because she's throwing her arm around so fast and so hard. Is this normal? What a crazy kid!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Default Re: Windmill Arm

OMG...Chance too...He even gets so vicious in the cycle to grab ahold of his hair like he is going to pull it out...all of the exact things you said hurt me too...he even will sometimes grab on his ear and pull so hard...I have no idea how he even enjoys his food because he is totally making me misserable the whole time...
    Mommy to Chance Lane 1/18/07
    I love my miracle baby so much! Be the best that you can be to your angels no matter how selfless you have to be!

Sounds to me like a normal part of LO beginning to explore her world. Some moms have found that using a nursing necklace or a special toy that is only used during nursing can help keep LO a little more focused.

If you're lucky (ha!) - Haley may start using nursing sessions to explore your face. My DS has gone through various stages of wanting to put his hand in my mouth, play with my teeth, hold my nose, play with my hair, and stick his fingers in my ear. He's decided that my nose makes a great handle so he can turn my head so he can get at my ear. Right now he likes it when I nibble on his toes, so I often have a waving foot in my face. And the acrobatics are even more fun!
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Esai does this, too.

pp is too cute. I

remember this stuff from my first two but my new LO is lonly just starting- I wish it was a windmill but it's pulling my hair or scratching his ear instead plus if I drink anything he will bat at it.

Oh how flexible these little ones are!!!! DS is 9 months old. When we nurse while he is in the cradle hold, he will grab a hold of his foot and while holding his foot kick it. When we nurse lying down he likes to see just how much he can move while latched on.. unless he is sleepy, then he will cuddle up and nurse lying still. SOOOO cute

mine does this too, normally he pushes my face away or thumps my chest, also likes to scratch his head and play with his ear... the worse tho is when he pops off, stares at my nipple and if i'm not quick enough grabs at my bare nipple! so far he's only got me once but omg did it hurt!
    Last edited by chocs; July 16th, 2007 at 03:36 PM.

Gretchen, Abby did this a lot when she first started discovering her hands. She still does it now but has more control over what she is doing. She does this as she is going to sleep too - hiding her eyes, pulling her hair, screaming, throwing her arms up, rubbing her face - - - eventually she falls asleep. This is when the nuk aerobics start because she would (and still does on occassion) rub her nuk out of her mouth- prompting me to run upstairs to get it back in before she wakes up... fun, fun, fun!

haha - our crazy kids!
    Peter likes to run around the room and play - while latched on. Well, not quite, but almost! The daytime acrobatics are such a struggle - he's wriggling, and I'm bent over him holding him down with all my force - all the while, he's happily nursing. I went to a luncheon yesterday and was the only one nursing, and it was so embarrassing! No-one cared though, but he was all over the place and my nipple was constantly exposed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochelleann View Post
    daytime acrobatics are such a struggle
    Yep! So far our most entertaining BF positions have been:
    - DS sitting on the counter and me standing (getting changed after swim class)
    - DS standing on our bed and me standing (I was getting changed and apparently the sight of my naked breasts reminded him that he needed a little something)
    - lots of odd variations of DS lying on me
    - sitting in my lap straddling my waist
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)