Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how much EBM per feeding?

Default how much EBM per feeding?

Hey all,
    I am going away for the night (it's our anniversary). I will only be gone one night, and I have been pumping and storing up; my lo does take a bottle fine, but it has been awhile since I have given him one. Any ideas how much he should take at each feeding? He is almost 3 months, about 13 lbs. He was taking about 3 ounces per feeding in the past, should it be about the same? Also, I am planning on pumping while I am away, any idea how long I can go without affecting my supply?

TIA!

Default Re: how much EBM per feeding?

There actually is a formula for figuring out the amount of milk to offer a breastfed baby at a feed. Take your baby's weight (in pounds) and multiply by 2.5. Divide by the average number of feedings in a 24-hour period. This will equal the amount of mother's milk per feeding. Using a 10 pound baby as an example: 10 (pounds) x 2.5 = 25 (ounces in 24 hours.). Divided by 10 feedings a day (approximately every 2.4 hours) this equals 2.5 ounces per feed for a baby of this weight. Remember that this is theoretical -- all babies are unique and have different needs.

You're right, most of the time you will probably be able to feed your baby your refrigerated expressed milk. Expressed breastmilk that has been properly handled can be saved in the refrigerator, at 32 to 39 degrees F for eight days (Pardou 1994). Even when using primarily fresh refrigerated breastmilk it is still wise to freeze some of your milk. Freeze in portions of between two and four ounces. Many mothers choose to freeze their milk directly in bottles. Be sure to leave one inch at the top to allow for expansion as your milk freezes. Top with a one piece cap. If you are adding fresh breastmilk to frozen, be sure to chill first so that you don't defrost the top layer of your frozen milk. My best wishes in mothering!

this was from i villiage not sure about accurate but when i computed my lo it was about right. she changes it up on me though ..so make extra and congrats!

btw i would pump for as many feedings you will be gone for, my lo is almost 3 months and 13 lbs..she takes 4 oz every 2-3 hours

Smile Re: how much EBM per feeding?

I Had The Same Question Before And No One Could Really Answer It. The Pediatrician Said 4ounces Would Be Fine But My Lo Only Seems To Eat 2.5-3.5. My Lo Is 10wks And 12.6lbs So Very Similar. If You Have Enough Milk Just Make 4oz Bottles And Let Your Little One Decide How Much To Eat. People Say They Tend To Eat More From A Bottle. I Usually Get No More Than 3.5oz From One Side When I Pump And My Lo Only Eats From One Side So I Figure She Isn't Really Eating More Than 3.5. Like I Said She Eats 2.5-3.5. So If You Can Judge Maybe By What You Are Able To Pump That Might Help. As Far As How Often To Pump Try To Stay To Your Lo's Schedule. If Lo Is Eating Every 3hrs Try To Stick To That. I Have Heard That You Can Skip A Feeding And Still Maintain Your Milk Supply If It Is Only One Night. So Pump After 6 Hrs? I Have Been Able To Do That. Just An Opinion I Wish You All The Best.

I would leave 3 oz. bottles since that's what you're LO has done before, but leave extra in case your LO is still hungry when the 3 oz. is finished. Whoever is taking care of him can always give him more. If he doesn't eat it all, that's okay. They can adjust as needed.

Thank you all so much for your helpful comments! I had planned on leaving 3 oz bottles for all of his reagular feedings and then an extra 3 or 4 oz bottle just in case. I hope it is enough, but if not, I will only be across town! Thanks!