Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much?

Default How much?

This is kind of a pumping post, but more working mom.

I have an overactive letdown, so the Sprout only eats off of one side, I double pump at work, and pump twice for 3 feedings. (I figure that equates to one extra feeding) I also have a bit of an oversupply issue.

I know I should be getting more than enough, but I don't know what to send to daycare. I pump 14+ ounces (today, after a light morning feeding, I pumped 18) I'm more empty pumping than nursing. I've been sending three four ounce bottles to daycare, and sometimes she downs all three, sometimes she doesn't. I would say she's doing between 10-12 ounces. Sometimes she seems to finish whatever is in the bottle when she gets in the "zone", like if there was more, she'd eat it. She's also had some issues with overeating and then spitting up a bunch (reflux as well), which is part of why she's a single side kid.

Ok, I know, get to the point. If she is finishing a bottle down to the last drop, and in the time it takes to get another one, she usually doesn't want it, does that mean she's getting enough? What happens with a growth spurt? Its not like I don't have the milk. My nickname is Silver Queen. (as in the milk dispenser, still trying to get the logo accross my boobs on a t-shirt) I have a freezer stash that's leaving no room for the frozen pizzas, and I'm seriously thinking about sharing what I've got and donating.

How do you work with the varrying needs of a little one when working?

Oh, stats, 7 pounds 14 ounces and 22" at birth, three months old, and right around 17 pounds and 27".

Default Re: How much?

I've been using the rule of thumb that LO needs 1 to 1.5 oz EBM per hour away from mom.

My DS is at day care for 8 hours, which means he should be taking about 8 to 12 oz. My DS has generally been right on - he typically takes about 10 to 12 oz at day care. I always send extra (just in case!). So - I send 2 bottles with EBM and a milk storage bottle with extra. I label all the bottles "1", "2, "3" for the order that the day care providers should use the milk based on when the milk was pumped. DS rarely needs the EBM in the storage bottle ("3"), so that becomes feeding bottle "1" for the next day. An leftover milk in the feeding bottles unfortunately needs to be dumped and can't be reused the next day because of possible bacteria from DS's mouth.

During growth spurts, my DS has seemed to make up the difference in his needs by nursing more at home. I nurse when DS first wakes up, and always offer again right before we need to leave the house. During growth spurts my LO has done alot of cluster feeding in the evening with me, and woke up more at night needing to nurse.

I struggled early on with oversupply / overactive let down so was constantly tinkering with my pumping schedule so that I was pumping pretty much exactly what DS would need for day care the next day. I found that pumping too much made my oversupply problems worse because all that extra pumping was sending my body the signal to produce more milk.

I hope this helps!
    Lynn
    Last edited by lsksam; July 17th, 2007 at 02:43 PM. Reason: typo
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Here is a fantastic link to information about how much milk will be required, and other details for pumping/working moms. hth

Wow that was quick. I'd read the Kelly Mom post, but the general rules never seem to apply to my weird too much issues, so its really nice to hear from people who have seen similar things. Thank you! Any more info/experiences would definitely be appreciated.

How often are you separated from your baby total during the day?
    Are you aware that nursing is meeting more than nutritional needs and that it is normal for a bf baby separated from mom to want to suck. A bottle, a knuckle, you name it. My point is that bf babies drink more milk because its available, not necessarily because they are hungry. They enjoy a good suck! Do you have a slow flow nipple on your bottles?

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    Do you have a slow flow nipple on your bottles?
    Ooooh! Very good point! My DS will be 1 year old next week and his bottles still have a "newborn" nipple.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

During a growth spurt she will drink more. At night when you are together you will notice she is more driven to nurse, and will have more sessions, closer together (cluster feeding).
    I didn't get a lot of sleep, did I answer your questions and give you info? Or have I missed the root of your questions?

We're separated 9 -10 hours. Hubby gets her so she's not in daycare that long. the 12 ounces is meeting the 1-1.5 rule easily. The part about being a little sucker makes sense. She will stop sometimes, but sometimes it does seem to be about the comfort suck, so I'm feeling better that she has enough. Today, she only ate 9 ounces or so. But she nursed like a champ when i got home. (good thing too, I was in class and had to pump earlier than usual so I was FU-ULL.) And yes, slowest flow in the NUK nipples.

Thanks for the encouragement. We got to a slow start because the nurses wouldn't believe me that we were having issues, and she still uses a nipple shield to get a good latch, so I'm overly paranoid. I figure it all balances out. Hard time latching and a little jaundice and in return I get the leaky milk machine boobs.

Just want to add that at 3 months old at 17 pounds you are obviously an attentive momma! You're doing just great.