Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do you make sure...

Question How do you make sure...

...that your child doesn't wean prematurely? My LO is 8 months old, and I would like to nurse her until she's at least 2. I really want her to get as much of the high-test as possible, for as long as possible. But I keep hearing about babies weaning themselves earlier, and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to make that less likely.

I've heard that not overdoing it on the solids is a good idea to keep them nursing longer. Right now she's taking about two small self-fed snacks and one meal around dinnertime that is partially self-fed and partially things that I feed her (home made purees typically.) Is that too much?

Any other thoughts? Thanks in advance!
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

Default Re: How do you make sure...

Oh I almost forgot to mention, she nurses about 6-8 times a day now.
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

That sounds like a good balance of food and nursing. Babies sometimes hit a really distractable age after they start walking. I found that offering them an opportunity to nurse helps - sometimes they'll say no but other times they're glad to be reminded. I'd offer it just like you would offer an older child a glass of water or a piece of fruit. Follow your babies lead. If she wants to nurse more or less, she'll let you know. If she wants to eat more or less solid food, she'll let you know that too.

Babies continue to have a sucking need for a while so, unless it's met with bottles/pacifiers, biology is on your side.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

I only gave DS a bit of water here and here until he was a year old. Then, he only got water until he was about 16 mo, and now we give him sips of our drinks here and there. If he wants a sweet drink of his own, then he nurses.

We also haven't night weaned, so he gets some nursing in at night, too.

My advice would be don't do anything extra. Your baby will lead you according to her needs. If she is interested in solids and wants to eat let her, if she is not nurse her. I have seen many kids BF for long periods in my family and from what I've seen it is very unlikely that she will self-wean unless she gets a pressure from outside like grandparents saying, "you are a big girl now why are you still nursing?" or her friends at daycare making fun of her. Of course these all happen way after 2 years of age so I will say don't worry

Quote Originally Posted by Lilahsmama View Post
    ...that your child doesn't wean prematurely? My LO is 8 months old, and I would like to nurse her until she's at least 2. I really want her to get as much of the high-test as possible, for as long as possible. But I keep hearing about babies weaning themselves earlier, and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to make that less likely.

I've heard that not overdoing it on the solids is a good idea to keep them nursing longer. Right now she's taking about two small self-fed snacks and one meal around dinnertime that is partially self-fed and partially things that I feed her (home made purees typically.) Is that too much?

Any other thoughts? Thanks in advance!
    Well, I could have written this word for word! (except the puree part - dd has never had a puree) My goal is two years. Right now we are at 5-6 nursings a day, (that counts early morning before getting up and going to sleep feed) plus several "snacks" in between. She is also a very frequent night nurser.

She just went up to two solid meals a day - a very lite lunch and then something a bit heavier for dinner. Lately she has been teething and crawling so much, she doesn't seem to want to nurse as much. I have found that if I stay on the floor with her while she plays, she will grab my shirt when she wants a snack. She sits on the floor, still holding her toys, and nurses for like two minutes - then she's off again!

I try to take her lead, but I do worry that she won't want it anymore!
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K
    Proud stepmom to B, and proud mom to J and R-A
    and our newest addition C

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

Ask me about Parkinson's Disease! Visit me at Life With Shaky!

Thanks very much for all the thoughts and suggestions!

I had been giving her little sips of water from a regular cup but maybe I should hold off on doing that too often.

Do you think it's a good idea to nurse her right before meals? I heard someone say that, but then I wondered if she'd eat anything at all since she'd be too full. Although, I guess that's irrational, to worry, since the most important thing is the BM in her diet.

The thing is, she does seem very interested in solids, and I don't want it to replace too much of the nursing, especially at this age. She's definitely been more distracted lately too, since she's pulling up and moving around a lot more.

She nurses once or twice in the night. I was hoping she'd stop soon, but I guess I'd rather she kept that up than lost the feedings come to think of it. Hmmm.

Thanks again, I really want to do this the right way. It's hard to know sometimes what that is. But you're right, I should follow her lead and trust that it will work out like it's supposed to. At least I don't have to worry about anyone in the family pressuring her to stop, or saying anything about it when she gets older. They all know I'm going to let her self-wean and they're all super supportive, I am lucky.