Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When is best to offer bottle?

Question When is best to offer bottle EBM?

I am going to begin pumping for outings with my LO, but I want to make sure that there is no nipple confusion. (I have the Avent bottles which are supposed to make the transition easy for baby). I have read that anytime is ok to introduce the bottle, and I have read that is should be held off until 6 wks of age. Any advice? Any is appreciated. THANKS!
    Last edited by Katelinsmom; July 18th, 2007 at 10:01 AM. Reason: to make more clear

Default Re: When is best to offer bottle?

I offered one right away. I didnt want any confusion for when I went back to work. I use a platex nipple thats suppose to resemble the real thing. It worked for her.

Default Re: When is best to offer bottle?

It is recommended to wait to introduce a bottle until breastfeeding is well established. For most mother and babies, this means somewhere between 3-6 weeks.

You mentioned you will be offering bottles for outings. Do know that many mothers find that nursing while out and and about is easy and discreet! You can find more information in our "nursing in public and nursing apparel" section of this bulletin board.

HTH!