Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning at 6 months

Default Weaning at 6 months

I would probably be weaning my son at 6 months of age cos lately he has been really really tiring me out and I feel exhausted. He eats soo little and then nibbles at my breast then after an hour and a half he wants to nurse again. I tried to keep him occupied to stretch the time between feedings but he was screaming and my heart went out for him. Therefore i would like to put him on formula. My question is how do i wean him off the breast without me getting engorged? The baby is almost five months now (next Tuesday). I wanted to breastfeed for a year but thisis too much for me. He is a very light sleeper, during hte night he wakes up twice to nurse and then at 5 am he is wide awake ready for the day. When he does nap he wants to be in my arms, and when put to bed he wakes up IMMEDIATELY. I have also started some fruits (prune, pear and some mashed apples) to try and fill him up abit but nothing has changed. TIA
    Mom to Wayne since 02.24.2007
    AND
    Keeran 07.19.2010

My kids are my life!

You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them - Desmond Tutu

Default Re: Weaning at 6 months

Are you planning on switching to formula at that point? I just wanted to point out that its not likely, if you are already trying to fill him up and he is still waking, that weaning will help the sleep problem. Dd has not been nursing much at all and she still wakes 2-3 times at night.

I don't have any advice, other than to pick up a copy of "How Weaning Happens", a LLL book, at your library. That book has lots of information on weaning at all stages!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Is it possible your lo is going through a growth spurt? It could be why he's wanting to nurse a lot and waking up at night.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

it can be very tiring to have a new baby! i'm sorry you're feeling so exhausted.
    From your post, though, it seems that you think switching to formula, or adding solids, will help your son sleep better or take better naps. I would agree with epbrown, though... it probably will not help. Some mothers have tried it and found their baby still wakes often. There are a lot of babies who only nap while being held (mine included!).
    i don't k now anythin about weaning either, though... maybe check the weaning forum?
    Stefanie, momma to

deacon james 09.22.06

Unfortunately it seems like some babies still nurse every two hours or less even as they get older and older- my 9 month old still does. For me I think it's partly because I don't have a ton of storage capacity in my breasts so he needs to eat frequently to get enough. Or if you have only been experiencing this for a sort time it could be a growth spurt or some other reaction to some milestones he's reaching- like rolling or sitting up or teething perhaps?

Anyways, I would caution you about thinking formula will solve all your problems. Some kids do fine switching over, but some have more problems with gas, spitting up, etc and still don't sleep through the night. Two night wakings isn't really all that bad.

If you do decide to wean, here's a link with some info to help you;
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/h...g_happens.html

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

I agree it could be a growth spurt. My daughter is 6 months old and still gets up a few times to nurse at night. Cereal doesn't fill her up at all, she is back to nursing soon after eating her cereal. My daughter is a light sleeper as well, I have to tiptoe around her or she will instantly wake up to nurse and we co sleep. I wish she'd fall asleep in my arms but she will only nurse to sleep.

Thank you gals for yr support. To answer yr question, yes I intend to start formula with the hope that this will satisfy him. He does get milk cos (1) he already weighs 7.5 kgs and (2) he does burp after his feed although not every time. I will be satisfied if i can nurse him until 6 months of age, i am sure that like this I would have given him a healthy start in life.
    Mom to Wayne since 02.24.2007
    AND
    Keeran 07.19.2010

My kids are my life!

You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them - Desmond Tutu