Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: noisy baby

Default noisy baby

Hello my baby grunts so loudly especially at nights, it keeps me running to her cot. Sometimes she sounds like she's straining (but she's not constipated - breastfed). Other times she sounds like she's tired from running a marathon.
    But its all so loud, it kept us up two nights ago.
    What about your little one?

Default Re: noisy baby

My first child was so quiet I kept getting up to check on her. My newborn is so loud that I keep getting up to check on her. She does the same thing you described, grunting, quick breathing, straining and stretching. I don't get much sleep, but it doesn't seem to bother her. I have noticed though she sleeps calmer in a reclining position (i.e. in my arms, or in her swing) than on her back. She's not cranky after naps and night sleep though, so I don't worry about it so much anymore.

My 6 week old grunts a lot, too. I thought he was really uncomfortable, but I talked with a few people, one being a pediatrician, and they all said that it was normal developmentally. One person told me that he is starting to figure out that he can make sounds, so that is what he is doing. The pediatrician told me that if he keeps his same color and isn't sweating or looking very uncomfortable, then not to worry. It doesn't really help you sleep any better, though.

Just another note: I had quit swaddling my lo, and the grunting increased at night. Since I have started swaddling again the grunting at night has decreased a lot. When his arms get free of the swaddle, the grunts increase. So, not sure if you are swaddling, but it seems to help calm my lo and his noisiness.

Hope this helps...we just have loud babies. I wonder if that is a sign of what's to come when they start talking.

Hannah grunts in her sleep, but it only seems to happen in the morning as she is starting to wake up.

this is one of the reasons i never co-slept with my baby...she grunted ALL night long, every time she slept up until around 3 1/2 months...i could not sleep through it at all and made me paranoid...dh could sleep through it, so they slept in another bedroom with her in a little basket on the bed

it is very normal - some babies are just noisy!

My baby does the same thing you describe. I swaddle him and put him in his papasan swing to sleep and this seems to help some. He does it mostly right after he eats and I put him down so I tend to think its a reflux thing. So many babies have reflux problems, even if a very light case. Do some of the noises sound like swallowing hard along with the grunting? THe reclined position should do the trick. You could always just put the matress at an incline to see if that helps too.

hmmm
    i will watch her in different positions and check the volume

DD is a very noisy sleeper. It is one of the reasons we co-sleep. With her in her own room the hearing the monitor every 20 seconds drove us berserk. Our favorite noise is "sniff-sniff-sniff-ahhhhhhhhhhh".

Haley is quiet unless she's in a light sleep phase. Then she does lots of "eh-eh-eh" and the "sniff-sniff-sniff-ahhhhh" and other growly/squeally noises that I can't even type. She also occasionally lets out a single, ear-shattering shriek. I have learned which noises are ones to worry about and which are signals that something is bothering her or she's waking up, so I usually sleep through the "safe" ones and wake when I hear the serious ones.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?