Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 13 mo old nursing, not too interested in eating

Default 13 mo old nursing, not too interested in eating

Hello, My son is 13 mo old and loves to nurse. We started fruits and veggies at 6 mo. He didn't really get to interested until 7-8 mos. Since then sometimes he wants to eat a little and sometimes he doesn't want anything. He started chewing food around 12 mo. I give him healthy options and do a combination of spoon feeding and finger foods in front of him. He is starting to get interested in using utensils. He loves to play! His Dr gave us recommended amts of food (3 meals- 2-3 snacks per day). He is no where near their recommendations. Family and friends ask about him alot and are surprised that he doesn't eat more. His Dr also wanted me to start whole milk, but encouraged me nurse as long as we want. I don't really want to get him whole milk because we only drink soymilk. I was wondering if anyone has had similar experiences?? I want to nurse him, but would like to feel like he is eating good also/starting to back off nursing a little. Also, he isn't sleeping as much as his Dr says he should be (2-naps, 10-12 straight at night). He was waking up every couple hours (crying-standing up in bed), with no trouble getting back to sleep. Now he is sleeping around 3 hours, waking up, then sleeping around 5 more hours. The Dr wants me to let him cry to learn that he has to be in his crib for at least 10 hrs! Easier said then done. Sorry just need some encouragement or support from others experiences. Thank you.

Default Re: 13 mo old nursing, not too interested in eating

Here's how we have handled it. We go to our doctor for medical advice. Eating, sleeping, and breastfeeding largely fall outside of a doctor's training, so we read books, go to LLL and talk to friends with similar parenting styles for that kind of information.

At 13 months, DS was starting to eat more solids, but not a huge amount. He was probably eating about a 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of food each day. DS has gradually nursed less and eaten more, all on his own. It will happen without you doing anything. He is almost 18 mo now, and "snacks" are often nursing for him. Remember, it's loaded with all kinds of good stuff. We drink a lot of milk, but since DS is still nursing a good bit, we haven't introduced him to cow's milk yet.

Babies' sleep patterns don't lend themselves to sleeping long stretches without waking. If you aren't comfortable with CIO (I'm certainly not), then by all means help your lo go back to sleep.

You know your child best and you have to do what is best for you and your family. I've found LLL meetings and playgroup a great way to spent time with other moms who parent in similar ways and I always feel more confident about the decisions I am making after hanging out with them.

Thank you. It really helps to hear it from someone who is nursing also. I just contacted someone from LL in my area and plan to go to the next meeting. Is it a good time idea to bring my walking (everywhere) 13 mo old? Thanks for your help.

I take my (very active) DS to meetings all the time. Granted, I don't get to sit down much because I'm busy chasing him, but he is welcome. You might put in a few toys for him to play with. I'm sure there will be other walking children there as well. You could always mention it to the Leader before hand, too, just to get a feel for that particular group.
    Last edited by I-Man's Momma; July 17th, 2007 at 03:10 PM.

Thank you. He will probably enjoy it. He loves people. Thanks again.