Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long to pump since he won't breastfeed?

Default How long to pump since he won't breastfeed?

My 28 weeker has never agreed to breastfeed. I've met with a Lactation Consultant weekly but I'm ready to throw in the towel. I have been pumping for 5 months. (His corrected age is 10 weeks.) If I resign myself to exclusively pumping, how long will I have to go?

~Robin

Default Re: How long to pump since he won't breastfeed?

((((hugs)))) You're doing a great job, Robin!

There is no arbitrary time that you "have" to pump. You might ask yourself what your goals are. Then, go from there. Make mini goals for yourself along the way, and adjust to how things are going in the moment.

If you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

I guess what I'm asking is when does the baby get weaned off of breastmilk. In other words, if I want to provide breastmilk rather than formula, how long do I need to pump?

well it's recommended that up to a year they get bm, if you don't do bm then formula. So considerind he's 12 wks early you'd have to pump till he's 15 mths (12 mths adjusted) to make sure he got bm and not formula. Of course you can go a lot more than that if you want. You are doing a great job pumping! I pumped for 9mths. Mine also refused the breast and I kept on trying and eventually she started nursing around 9 mths old (5 1/2 mths adjusted) We are still nursing today at almost 19 mths.

One year is how long the AAP recommends that babies recieve breastmilk or formula as their main food source.

I had the same experience with my daughter - a 31 weeker. I pumped for three months. I felt very guilty about quiting but it just got to be too much for me. After I quit I got more rest and was actually better abe to bond with the baby. I still felt bad but I just had to keep reminding myself that everyday I breastfed her was a gift..and three months was a whole lot better than nothing. If you wean now though you would have to give him formula..they can't have cow's milk till around 12 months. We went ahead and switched Beth off of formula at 12 months w/ her doctor's blessing though I know some doctors recommend you wait until they reach 12 months adjusted (which would have been another two months)

Default long term pumping

Laurmal and Clouise, thanks so much for sharing that you each pumped for a long period of time for your child. I find it very encouraging. I guess I'll keep it up for as long as I can.

I sometimes would appreciate more encouragement from members of my family. They seem to think that since it would be easier on me to give up pumping and switch to formula there's no point in me continuing. It does cramp my mobility to be tied to the pump but it seems that as long as my milk production is good and I have the stamina to keep going that I might as well do it. I just want to do whatever I can for my son, especially since he was a preemie and will probably encounter more bumps in the developmental journey than he might have if he'd been born at term.

I wonder if I give breastfeeding another try in a few weeks maybe we'll have better luck. One of the hurdles there is trying to coordinate the breastfeeding session with the pumping. That's one of the biggest reasons why I'm giving up, besides the fact that my little one doesn't suck enough to draw forth any milk.

Thanks again for sharing your stories! I'd love to hear from others who have pumped for a long time.

Robin

Smile Re: How long to pump since he won't breastfeed?

Robin - First off I want to say WAY TO GO! You are an amazing mom and doing the best for your little one. It is so very hard at times and you wonder if it all really matters - but it does!

I would say to also keep trying to offer the breast. I thought my little one (born at 32 weeks) would never nurse and she did but it wasn't until she was until she was around 4 months old that she really took off.

Hang in there!
    Jennifer