Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long for a pumping session?

Default How long for a pumping session?

How long does everyone pump for? I often find myself pumping longer than 15-20 min. What's the longest you can pump on each side?

Default Re: How long for a pumping session?

I try to only pump for 20mins on each side. I will not stop though until my breasts feel empty. Sometimes there are still streams after 20mins so I wait for those to finish. Usually no longer than 30mins.

My LC told me about "power pumping" to boost supply - 10mins on and then 10mins off for 1 hour. I haven't had the time to try it yet.

Sometimes I will pump for 45 min on one side? Is still safe? Should I limit to 30 min? I have to pump this long or else I won't get my 5 oz.

Do you exclusively pump? How often do you pump? What type of pump do you use?

dont pump for more than 20 min per side
    http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com...mpingtips.html

hope that helps

I plan to exclusively pump for my 6 month old. I use the Pump In Style. Thanks for the article. If I pump for 20 min I will get at most 2 oz.

Smile Re: How long for a pumping session?

i am an exclusive pumper w a pisa and i too have pump 45 min to get 5 or 6 oz total
    Last edited by Mikenzi's Mama; August 5th, 2007 at 06:58 AM. Reason: im sleep deprived - i uunderstand it now!

I know I've read not to do it, but when I pump in the middle of the night, I sometimes go 45-90 min. But I keep it at a gentle level, and use massage, too. If I've been pumping consistently, I can usually get 6-8 oz. That's good for me...
    for 1-1/2 years...and still going!