Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: newborn defined

Default newborn defined

Another silly question from me, but what is the definition of a newborn? Is it up to 3 months? One week? And if your supposed to feed a "newborn" every 2-3 hours on demand, then when they're not newborns anymore, what kind of feeding needs should I expect?

Default Re: newborn defined

There are no silly questions here!

The definition of newborn is birth-4 weeks. The next stage is infant. Infants should also be fed "on cue". Older babies tend to space feedings out and generally don't need reminders to eat (unlike some very sleepy newborns!), so whatever routine your infant chooses is perfectly fine as long as he/she is gaining and growing!

HTH!

Default Re: newborn defined

I thought a newborn was birth to 3 months, and 3 months to a year was an infant. I guess it doesn't matter.

My daughter is 9 months and she still nurses every 2-3 hours, 24 hours a day. That's with 3 meals of solid food a day. I don't think that's the norm, but don't get your hopes up that your little one will go 4 or 5 hours w/o nursing in a few months, b/c he/she may not be ready for that for a while.

Jennifer