Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: help for lazy to nurse/ too many stools?

Smile help for lazy to nurse/ too many stools?

This may have been posted already but, I have a beautiful 7 1/2 week old boy who continues to fall asleep at the breast!!!!
    He usually comes off satisfied, sometimes he fusses. I switch sides, massage, do skin to skin contact.
    Is this going to be his pattern or do they improve? He feeds about every 2-21/2 hours during day and 3 - 4 hours at night.
    He was slow to gain weight but, now gained 9 oz in 6 days.

Is this pattern due to him not absorbing the breastmilk, as he still gets 5 or more yellow seedy diapers/ day.
    I have read the bowel movements can be infrequent or frequent. Is my baby behaving within a normal range. Thanks, a nervous first time MOM!!!

Default Re: help for lazy to nurse/ too many stools?

What have you done to try to wake him up during nursing. My DD was a sleeper too. We would undress her, tickle her toes, tickle her ears, tickle her neck, etc.

I also, undress him and tickle him and pump his arm.
    I also stop and burp him and sometimes change his diaper. Is it because he sleeps and doesn't stay on long that he won't sleep longer?
    Or am I expecting too much? I thought the time might lengthen slightly as he ages.
    If I take him off with a good latch, I sometimes have difficulty getting the latch good again.
    Mom to Sean, March 14, 2006

It all sounds very NORMAL to me!!!

Your lucky...DS is almost 8 months old, and I am lucky if I get 2 hours!

Sarah