Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby freak outs

Default Baby freak outs

My daughter is now five weeks old. She is the third child I have breastfed. Starting on Saturday, she starting acting weird during nursing. She nursed on one side just fine. I burped her and changed her and we started on the second side. I put my nipple in her mouth for her to latch on and she started freaking out. She was screaming at the top of her lungs like someone was killing her. I checked to make sure nothing was physically hurting her. She would not calm down, so I had to push on her chin to get her to finally latch on. Once she latched on, she was fine. She has been doing this now about every other feeding and it doesn't really matter which breast it is. Has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone give me any info on what to do? I am about ready to give up on BF and just give her bottles.

Default Re: Baby freak outs

Does your little possibly have an ear infection or a stuffy nose? Have you changed detergent, soap, deodorant, etc. recently? Are there too many distractions around? Is your lo overly tired or overly hungry?

Sometimes babies will do this when there is a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance also. Don't give up! She is still very young and nursing is still very new to her. Try to eliminate one thing at a time until you fugure out what it is. You can also call a LC for more help.

hth!
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K
    Proud stepmom to B, and proud mom to J and R-A
    and our newest addition C

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

Ask me about Parkinson's Disease! Visit me at Life With Shaky!

Default Re: Baby freak outs

I hate to jump to reflux, as it likely would have already showed up before now, but it sounds like a possiblity. Or maybe jst reaction to something new you have been eating? I had something similar happen w/ my ds just the other night but the breast was the only thing to eventually calm him down.