Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: adding fresh milk to refrigerated milk

Default adding fresh milk to refrigerated milk

is it safe to add fresh milk to already refrigerated milk? if so, should the fresh milk be added within a certain time (for example, within 2 days, etc...)

thanks!

Default Re: adding fresh milk to refrigerated milk

As far as I know, you just want to make sure the new milk is chilled before adding it in. You don't want to add warm milk on top of cold.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

I've always just added it within 24 hours. I have never chilled it before adding, I just add and swirl. I've not had a problem with doing that so far.

I always put the new milk in the fridge and wait to combine them until they are both cold. But I just found this:

While it was originally thought that a mother had to cool her fresh breastmilk before combining it with previously expressed cooled milk, the latest research now shows that you may pump directly into already refrigerated or cooled milk as long as the milk is added within 24 hours of the first milk expressed. You should then follow the storage recommendations based upon the time and date of the first milk expressed. You may pump directly into milk that has been stored at room temperature as long as you do so within 10 hours. This milk would need to then be used.

The complete article is here:http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com...ehandling.html