Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Couple questions.

Default Couple questions.

My baby is 3 wks tomarrow. So far he hasnt shown any signs of colic/reflux but last night he had an "episode". He cried from about 1:30 till 5 unless he was at the breast. So, something would calm him down, its just the sort of cry that worries me. He was more like screaming in pain. He sometimes has gone a day without a BM, but would finally go and alot! Well, its been 2 days now and only one tiny dirty diaper. Could this have something to do with what went on last night? Or is the middle of the night gonna be his fussy time? This was much more than just fussy though, so I cant imagine thats the deal. I wonder if I should eliminate dairy from my diet? I had some ice-cream Friday night, could it take that long to bug him? TIA

ETA: I should also say that he is gaining and growing well. Over a pound since birth already.

Default Re: Couple questions.

Sounds like a classic 3week growth spurt. The need to eat constantly is about needing to continue to up your supply as he grows. I know it's exhausting, but just continue to nurse on demand. And don't worry about eliminating anything yet. The spurts usually pass in 3-5 days. If you get a chance to nap before you DH goes to bed, do it. The all night feeding session are classic growth spurt behavior. Your doing fine!

Way too lazy for formula

THe middle of night freakouts are tough. Hopefully you won't have too many of those.

When my LO is majorily crying and fussing I have to do a whole body check - this has only happened twice in 5 weeks - but once it was a chafing diaper on the leg, the other was yesterday - an an was walking around inside his onesie. Thank goodness it didn't bite him. I think the crawling sensation was creeping him out.

THat said, my LO wants to nurse whenever he's upset - and usually just fusses and spits the milk out. THat's when I offer a pinkie or paci to keep him calm.
    Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years

my DS was fussy at night from about 3 weeks-7 weeks. I swear he had McDreamy radar, because when 9 o'clock (Grey's Anatomy time) hit he would just fall apart. Babies get fussy because they have no way to unwind, so they jsut scream. You or I could have a beer, go for a jog, read LLL posts...they just have lungs. So that could be part of his problem, just the "fussies" as all babies get usually starting around 3 weeks ( their first growth spurt incidentally).

My DS was gassy and had trouble tooting, so I did eliminate dairy (as painful as it was) and it made a difference. I was off dairy until he was about 4 months, and now he is fine. Does he have any irritation around his anus? That would be a physical indicator that it is bothering him.

The screaming which did sound like he was in pain is disconcerting, but it did end. Hang in there

I often wonder if they feel growing pains because they are growing so fast, escpecially in comparison to their small size...

I wanted to throw in i also had a very fussy baby every night screaming and nursing every hour!! I eliminated dairy and no more fussy baby!! Now when she wakes up in the middle of the night she just eats and goes back to sleep or stays up and wants to play. I think the dairy caused her to have gas bad and also may have made her reflux act up more. Good luck!

Could definitely just be a growth spurt, and if so, hang in there, because it will pass. Could also be gas or an upset tummy from the dairy. Lots of us know all about that! Also remember that your LO is still adjusting to his new world, and this means he'll have some "freak out" times. I think you'll notice a big change when he hits the 6 week mark (6 weeks after his due date, not his birth date). Babies really settle down at that point. I remember just having to coach myself, "Just make it to 6 weeks, just make it to 6 weeks." You'll still have challenges, but it DOES get easier, so hang in there. (And now, speaking of fussy babies, mine's needing some TLC. )
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

I also wanted to add if it is an issue of reflux you'll want to look into keeping him at an angle most of/all of the time
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thanks for all of your replies!

I remember having a few nights like this with dd, now that you all mention the growth spurt thing. She went on to have reflux, but the upside is at least I already know how to deal if he is getting it too. I will wait it out about changing the diet and if he continues to have more episodes like last night then I will think about elimination. Heck, one night outta three weeks isnt bad, I'll take it! He has been wonderful today and loves being in his sling. I will also try to get that nap in before dh goes to bed but its kinda hard with a 2 year old also. Again, thanks for all your suggestions and replies! Its nice to have somewhere to come to about this!

O and btw, he had 3 HUGE messy diapers today. Does anyone elses babies do this? Dont go for a while and then explode? I remember dd going after every bf so this is a huge difference!

Well last night was great! He marathon nursed in the evening but slept very well last night, 2 four hour stretches. I hope its not too soon to let him go that long (3 wks)? Also, we have a papasan swing that I had him sleep in last night and I wonder if that didnt help alot too, putting him at an incline. From some noises he has been making, I wonder that he truely might have a slight case of reflux. Having experience from my dd, I think he does. So anyways, just needed to get my thoughts out!

Quote Originally Posted by Julieh View Post
    I hope its not too soon to let him go that long (3 wks)?
    As long as he has regained birth weight and is continuing to gain well, there's no need to wake him for feedings. Enjoy your sleep, mama!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?