Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My 5 week old has a HORRIBLE latch!!

Unhappy My 5 week old has a HORRIBLE latch!!

I need some help with latching with my 5 w/o. My DS likes to suck on only my nipple and as a result has caused 2 incredibly cracked and WAY painful nipples . . . I've BFmy other 2 kids w/o any problems and I don't believe I'm doing anything differently. I'm doing everything I've read (tickle mouth open till really wide then put nipple in as far back as possible, etc), but after 2 sucks he's back to just the nipple. And constant delatching and then relatching kills!! Any suggestions? I'm dying here Thanks for your help!!

Default Re: My 5 week old has a HORRIBLE latch!!

My suggestion is to go see a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant). There is nothing like hands-on help. She will be able to give you tips on positioning and on healing your cracks, and also be able to evaluate your baby's sucking technique and the shape of his mouth and tongue. Have you had your son checked for tongue-tie? Sometimes a baby is born with a very short, tight frenulum (that piece of tissue than anchors the tongue to the base of the mouth). That can make it difficult for the baby to latch on deeply and cause him to ride up on your nipple. If that is what's causing the problem, it can be easily corrected by a pediatrician.

I really hope things improve for you soon. I had deep cracks for 4.5 months from my daughter's horrible latch, and I remember well the awful pain it caused. (The horrible latch also caused low milk supply- because my daughter couldn't effectively remove milk from me, my supply dropped and she wasn't gaining weight. That's another problem the IBCLC helped me understand and solve.)

Hang in there!

I'm sorry that you are in so much pain. I agree with pp. After 8 weeks of struggle, I'm finally having my LO evaluated for tongue-tie (my LC picked up on it). It has caused numerous problems for us. It may be worth checking in to. Keep us posted.
    Melissa, mom to my very busy 4-year-old little man and super busy 2-year-old princess.

yup get help and tounge tie....
    thrush can get into cracked nipples and cause lots of pain.
    did you have anti-botic at birth?
    heres a good link
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...uteHelper.html

there are clips of good latch on the right of this page
    http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html

Well after reading ALL day about latching, I've realized I have to almost shove DS on the breast . . . I think he's just a lazy little guy Thanks for the links and the suggestions - I think I've had thrush along w/ the cracked nipples and hopefully getting the latch better will help out a lot. THANKS!

I noticed you mentioned tickling the mouth. Specifically how do you do this? What is the technique, etc.?

thx!

Try holding your breast in a "C" hold and brush your nipple on your baby's lips. Start at the top lip and go from top to bottom. Don't let him latch until he opens widely. Hope this helps!