Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: taking a poll

Default taking a poll

Hey all!
    I am new to the site so bear with me. Well, actually, long time reader, first time posting. Anyway, I am a Mommy of 2: Ethan -almost 3 (breastfed for one year) and Hannah--4 months (currently nursing). I am just curious, what would you consider your most difficult challenge with breastfeeding in public? Any input would help me a lot!! Thanks!!

AgMommyof2

Default Re: taking a poll

My own inhibition and lack of practice. I find that whenever I need to NIP I delay nursing a bit, trying to decide if it is really necesary. Of course, it always is because I know when DD is hungry but I tend to delay for a few minutes. Then when I decide I have to do it because she's hungry. I pick a spot and expect stares and glares and nothing ever happens. Usually the only ones who know I am NIP are me and DD.

I have OALD so when my milk lets down it sprays everywhere and DD pulls off frequently to either take a break (from the forceful let-down) or to look around because she is a 4 month old! So I try to be mindful that I am not flashing everyone around me - but as I said so far everyone else has been indifferent to us.

:
    Last edited by noodlenerd; July 15th, 2007 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Add welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by noodlenerd View Post
    I have OALD so when my milk lets down it sprays everywhere .
    Yup I second that! Jets of milk spraying out across bub's face, the sling, the front of the doctor's jacket... Ya gotta laugh...
    Karli, Besotted mother of Ashley,8lb 9oz - 9th May 2007 and Fae 8lb 11oz 17th Feb 2010, both born at home, naturally.

Nappy-free @ 18 months EC'ing rocks!
    Just leave it alone.

Our biggest challenge has been my son's distraction. He is never hungry enough to nurse instead of looking at the people around. I tried nursing with a blanket over us but he pulls that off too

Quote Originally Posted by noodlenerd View Post
    I find that whenever I need to NIP I delay nursing a bit, trying to decide if it is really necesary.
    Yep. And usually by delaying I make Haley mad, which makes the NIP, when it does happen, that much more complicated. Silly mama.

I have OALD so when my milk lets down it sprays everywhere and DD pulls off frequently to either take a break (from the forceful let-down) or to look around because she is a 4 month old! So I try to be mindful that I am not flashing everyone around me - but as I said so far everyone else has been indifferent to us.
    Once again: Besides the flashing of the nipples when Haley pulls off, there will be dripping. I usually end up with milk soaked all over my pants and the sling. Recently I had the pleasure of watching my milk drip down the leg of the deck chair I was sitting on at my friend's house.

I'd say dealing with the OALD, her being fussy, and the mess. Yep, that's my biggest challenge. Yet I still manage to do it, and it's definitely getting easier.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Mine would be DD squirming nad pulling my nursing cape off! Also her being so curious about the world around her that she doesn't want to nurse.

Question AgMommyof2-is that part of your name from Texas A&M? Class of 04 here! Whoop! Have a graet day!

Rachel
    Proud wife to Pete, 5-9-04
    Proud 1st time mom to Lilly 2-1-07 born at 36 weeks, 5lbs 1 oz, au natural!

http://www.lillybugdesigns.com
    Handmade accessories for mom and baby
    All made with love, and by hand[/COLOR]

i am very shy and i hate nip because i feel like people are gonna stare at my boobs!! i also hate using a blanket, the trying to pull my bra down and putting her on she cant seem to find my nipple yet (7 weeks) so i have to direct her to it! she is so hungry and she gets so fussy that my balnket always falls off!!

baby's distraction, for sure is #1
    hubby's paranoia
    my own inhibitions
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

3kidsMommy is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

my own inhibitions and the stares! I hate the stares and glares I get! I cant believe the number of people who look at you like you are insane because your nursing when the baby is totally covered and they cant see ANYTHING! It bothers me..makes me more nervous and then just makes it even worse when baby pops off and stuff!! So annoying!

Once I got a good nursing cover I was fine. My only problem was other people being uncomfortable. I was surprised at how many people offered to send me off to a room by myself even though I was completely covered. I think that's why a lot of people sop too soon. It's isolating when people want you to go to a room by yourself to nurse.
    Also, I found random old men staring at me. Having a good cover really helped me feel comfortable even when other people aren't. I made mine. All you really need is a tie around your neck attached to a square of fabric.
    Rachel
    mom to Elijah 1/29/2007
    Pregnant with ds number 2 due sometime in November
    |Cleaning products that are green and safe for our babies.
    http://www.shaklee.net/jonandrachel